Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,144   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mamiya rz67 pro

Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya rz67 pro

i just got a rz67 pro from my father. and i want to do some long exposure.
    i read the manual online, it said if i want more then 60 sec. i need to use the "T" on the lens.
    and found a old thread on this forum, i kind of get how it works, but not so sure.

the old thread said:
    I need a cable release plug into the lens(i need to buy one), then
    set the lens to "T" (which should cover the "N"), then
    press the shutter button on the body, then (is this step lock up the mirror only?shutter remain close?)
    press the shutter button on the cable. (this step should open the shutter, right?)
    after exposure release shutter button on cable, then (what is this step actually do?)
    push the "T" back to "N" to close shutter.

should I put the shutter speed on B when i do "T" exposure? or any shutter speed is fine?

I also saw some people on the internet said i should have the lens cap on after shutter open remove the cap, and put the cap back on before closing the shutter. why?

sorry if i asked stupid question, but im really excited to do some long exposure with this camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm......

I have the RZ II and I use two cable releases;

The first, connected to thte camera, flips up the mirror. I lock it (or keep it engaged) after the mirror has flipped.

Then I engage the second one, which is connected to the lens.

I hold both of them down like this, for the duration of the exposure, then I release the one on the lens (shutter closes) then the second one (mirror flips down again).

I don't do anything special on the lens, I simply just set the camera-knob to "B" and go.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty sure its the same as on the RZ67 Pro II which I have
    http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/assets/fil...ROII_Instr.pdf

Pages 31 and 33 will probably be of interest to you.

I basically use T mode on the lens. Trigger the mirror to fly up with the regular shutter release button. No cable required. Leave it for a few seconds for the vibrations to settle then release the shutter in the lens with a cable connected directly to the lens. Shutter will stay open as long as you hold the button down, or lock it down.

I think this is how it works.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    T switch is a latch that holds the shutter open regardless of setting on body, so you can have any time selected. Don't use B, that adds more complications. andrewf: no, you don't hold the cable in for T.

Button on body raises the mirror only if you have a release cable in the lens and any red ring is showing#. Cable release on lens opens the shutter, and you should not use a locking cable release in T mode, just push the cable once and then let it go.

Putting a lens cap on to finish the exposure is a good idea because it means you won't bump the camera. It's easy to get a bit of motion blur when pushing the T switch back to N, particularly if there are point-lights in the scene. I wouldn't use the lens cap to start the exposure though, that would be less stable than using a cable release.

# when removing the cable release, make sure all the red ring disappears. If not, the shutter will not fire! You will need to reinsert and remove the cable to make the lens work again in handheld (no cable) mode.
    Last edited by polyglot; 08-28-2013 at 10:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What Helinophoto describes is B mode (max 60s), which is quite different from T mode (unlimited time).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B works fine for up to one minute exposures on the RZ, I find that to be easy, as you just release the trigger to close the shutter, no need to touch the camera or put the lens cap on.

For exposures > 1 minute, I would use the switch though.
    -

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can also use two normal cables separately, instead of buying one twin specified of the trade mark

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you everyone for sharing amazing information.
    please check if i understand it correctly,
    1. in "T" mode, shutter speed setting don't matters, the shutter will stay open as long as the switch is still in "T", even shutter speed set to 1/200sec.
    2. no locking the cable release or holding down the button is needed, just press and release.

also the red ring polyglot mentioned, where will it a appear? in the viewfinder? im using a Waist viewfinder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The red ring will show when you screw in the cable into the lens.

You'll notice the metal around the hole for the cable on the lens rise up as you screw in the cable, when the red ring shows on the outer base of it, the cable is properly screwed into the lens.

Make sure it goes down again when you take the cable out, or you'll think you have ruined your camera, because it won't fire properly ^^
    -

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, you have it correctly.

PS since you're doing night shots, use Acros or Tmax400 as they have the least reciprocity failure. Provia100F for colour, though that requires much more careful metering. DSLR for preview is a good approach for checking your exposure on chromes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin