Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,275   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Will third time around be the charm with an RB67?

I've done it again and succumbed to the temptation to buy a Mamiya RB67 Pro S...yet again. This will be my third time around with this camera. I've also bought and sold a couple of the Fuji MF cameras in the past, but the RB67 is the one I keep coming back to. Am I crazy or have many of you done something similar and why? In my case I started wanting to get the feel of a fully mechanical camera, and to give myself a break from taking hundreds of images a day with my DSLRs. After a year I sold the RB67 because I wasn't using it that much. A couple years later I missed having the heavy old camera and bought my second one. A year later I did the same thing again and sold it. And now, here I am with my third RB67 and three lenses 65, 90, and 180 due to arrive on Tuesday.

Hopefully I will keep this one for the long term.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Martin View Post
    here I am with my third RB67 and three lenses 65, 90, and 180 due to arrive on Tuesday.

Hopefully I will keep this one for the long term.
    I have the same kit and love it. I go through phases of using mine or using my 4x5 or Rolleiflex. It's nice to give yourself a change of pace from time to time.

Considering the relative inexpensive price of the RB67 gear you may as well hold onto it. Obviously it keeps calling you back. =)

Shooter
    Multi Format

RB67

The sharpest, most detailed, most nearly 3D image I've made since I started in 1951, is one made with my Mamiya RB67 with 65 mm lens using Agfa Ultra 50 film. Stunning color, stunning detail, yet stunning tone - like a Rembrandt... While the subject matter and composition are nothing to shout about, the image itself just wants to jump out, grab you and pull you back in! The one image against which I judge all my others. That lens must have been touched by god himself (or Ansel). (I have 27 other cameras and maybe 35 lenses I'm judging this one against.)

Contrarily, the BEST image I've ever made (judging all parameters) was made with a Kodak Instamatic 60 110 at night. All the forces were in alignment that night!

However, I've made some other what I'll call exceptional images with my Agfa Super Isolette (Ansco Super Speedex) 6x6 folder, with 75 mm lens, with again, Agfa Ultra 50 film. Maybe it's the film quality that gives these images such a fantastic, almost unreal presence... Or maybe it's the 50's film and 50's lens combination?

If you watch some Hollywood films made in the 50's where Ansco/Agfa film was used, especially outdoor cowboy movies, you'll see that same lush, sexy Rembrandt quality; VERY different from 'normal' movie film of the time.

While the RB is a handful, it can make some gorgeous images.

Perry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my RB67!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Life is giving you a hint here.....Keep your RZ and obviously 1 year of in activity doesn't tell you you will not enjoy the use again.

I have an F6, 2x F100, 2x 601 and a bunch of wonderful glass to go with them. But when I go on vacation, it's the zorki and the FM that goes along for the ride. There is a time and place for everything an maybe that cycle had not come around before you sold the RZ.

I've got a 645 that lights up my eyes everytime I use it. It was 3 years between the last shoot and the time before. I know it will have the same effect the next time I use it.

Keep this RZ and consider yourself nuts if you let it go again!
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've done the same fool thing and will do it again, I just know. I love those beasts. Add to that having done it with the 645 as well. Can't seem to get those Mamiya's out of my system. Also seem to be doing it with the SL66's too ! But go ahead and have some fun!
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sell the dslr.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    Sell the dslr.
    Not when I'm shooting 1000 images at a football game!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The RB 67 is a handfull

It's a handful but worth it. It's also OK to take 10 nice pictures instead of 1000 that you have to look through.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    It's a handful but worth it. It's also OK to take 10 nice pictures instead of 1000 that you have to look through.
    Quite true, but 1/400 second max shutter speed probably won't freeze the action. Maybe what I will do is bring the RB67 to a game where I am shooting for myself instead of the local paper. It would also probably work better at a baseball game where movement is more predictable. I could just pre-focus on a specific base and fire the shutter when the runner gets there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin