Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,324   Online: 1004

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Actually, yes. And it delivers the news faster, and easier, and cheaper, and allows me to respond, and allows me to share it with others instantly almost regardless of where they are in the world.
    Like I said, most of my fun while reading the news is not about the (lousy, brainwashing) news but the experience of holding the newspaper with a fine Cappuccino. If you're about "fast news delivery and sharing no matter where you are in the world", then you and your iphone are in heaven. I'm not into that. Life, to me, is about something else. More about fine Cappuccinos then about news and fast delivery of dirty propaganda of all sorts.

The iPhone, iPad (and all their cousins) along with the Internet have and continue to fundamentally change the way "the world" works; including how news, banking services, mail, & happy snaps are going to be delivered, forever. Like steam and electricity also did.
    I thoroughly do not enjoy that. The modern living has made our lives more difficult then what it used to be, despite the promise of a brave new world. You can buy Bananas in Canada while you couldn't 15 years ago? So what. That's not my definition of life improvement. You share photos faster? I'm glad for you. As far as I'm concerned, I thoroughly don't enjoy that. Sharing my pics on a social network is the best way to kill my work. So many hours spent shooting, developing, printing, toning, washing. All that hard work to end up on flickr to try and please a bunch of newbies that have absolutely no clue? to "please" is too big a word. You please nobody on social newtorks until you lick their butt as a "follower" and then expect a "return favor" in form of them "liking" your work. LOL!

Digital stuff isn't garbage, its just different.
    To me, it's mostly garbage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Enjoy your coffee and your paper NB23.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm reading the forum on my iPhone which is hard to do with a newspaper but OTOH my dog is getting annoying and I haven't figured out how to roll up my iPhone as a deterrent yet.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 09-08-2013 at 10:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And you can't potty train your dog on an iPhone, either.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    And you can't potty train your dog on an iPhone, either.
    True, but I'd try with a Samsung
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make sure it's not plugged into the charger!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I think it's assumed here we're all talking about "art" or serious photography - and not crap consumer photography driven by speed of delivery.
    …except for those who talk about old family photos stored in shoeboxes in the attc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post

. . . The modern living has made our lives more difficult then what it used to be, despite the promise of a brave new world. You can buy Bananas in Canada while you couldn't 15 years ago? So what. That's not my definition of life improvement. You share photos faster? I'm glad for you. As far as I'm concerned, I thoroughly don't enjoy that. Sharing my pics on a social network is the best way to kill my work. So many hours spent shooting, developing, printing, toning, washing. All that hard work to end up on flickr to try and please a bunch of newbies that have absolutely no clue? to "please" is too big a word. You please nobody on social newtorks until you lick their butt as a "follower" and then expect a "return favor" in form of them "liking" your work. LOL!

To me, it's mostly garbage.
    YEAH !!!! YOU TELL'EM NB !!!!

Mark
    [I like bananas but not electronic ones]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Talk about digressing... How did it end up here?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Even if digital longevity storage wasn't an issue, I still couldn't overcome the whole digital process: digging into folders, open windows/folders, browsing through the thumbnails, naming/renaming files. WTF???

I'm sorry but they aren't photographs and that isn't photography. It's Fileographs and Fileography. Drives me insane.

Anyone read their "newspapers" on their iphone? Is there something more inhuman then that? The noise of the newspaper, the feel in hand, the obligatory posture, the smell! The swears while trying to find an article, the sheet that won't stay steady, the folding, the pitching it on the table. Reading the news? Quite a secondary experience next to the senses' overload of what a physical newspaper brings as a whole experience. iPhone? Meh.

File-O-Graphy. Garbage-O-graphy. All the same. Has nothing to do with real photography, even if storage wasn't an issue.
    I bet those shooting daguerrotypes said that about glass plate photography too. Just kidding couldnt resist

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin