Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,812   Online: 857
      
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 228
  1. #111
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,665
    Images
    344
    As long as I originate on film, there after I don't care, although I prefer to scan from prints made by me than negs.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  2. #112

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    24
    If you ask me it is the viewing of our media on the monitor that kills the image. I did a project this summer and my exposures looked very good in lightroom and photoshop. However when I printed them they looked amazing (at least to me) Be it Film or Digital it is the print that makes the photo. Today I printed some digital negatives to use for some alternative processing. To me that is a true hybrid.

  3. #113

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,005
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    These are copper plate photogravure prints, on Magnani Revere paper. Film or digital?
    To me it doesn't matter. Both are very nice images and got me interested enough to check out your portfolio.

    You do really nice work! Count me as a fan.

  4. #114

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddyg View Post
    If you ask me it is the viewing of our media on the monitor that kills the image. I did a project this summer and my exposures looked very good in lightroom and photoshop. However when I printed them they looked amazing (at least to me) Be it Film or Digital it is the print that makes the photo. Today I printed some digital negatives to use for some alternative processing. To me that is a true hybrid.
    I recently showed some slides to a local pro who's never used film. I projected them, and I thought he'd fall out of the chair - he was absolutely flabbergasted. Couldn't believe that quality was attainable with gear from the 60s either.

  5. #115
    Truzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    So, would that classify these images/prints as garbage? The film vs digital is such a tired argument. My point is that the major difference is that the "garbage" now is paraded incessantly on the internet, where in the past, it sat in the attic in countless boxes, simply forgotten. Digital output is different, and sometimes not. At the end of the day, it is about what one does with it. Film of course doesn't make anyone an instant genius but there are many good reasons to still use it.
    Everything has a purpose and there are ways to put some digital capture to good use, with alternative processes, in my opinion. So, to simply dismiss the whole thing as "garbage" seems a little naive to me.

    You may notice that nowhere in my short post was the word "garbage," or any value judgement for that matter.

    You asked digital or film. I was guessing.
    Truzi

  6. #116
    MaximusM3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    756
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    You may notice that nowhere in my short post was the word "garbage," or any value judgement for that matter.

    You asked digital or film. I was guessing.
    Yes, that wasn't referred to your comments, but to NB23 which dismissed digital as garbage. I was just trying to make a point

  7. #117

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    16,881
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post

    To me, it's mostly garbage.
    sorry to say this, but most film photography is garbage too ..
    there isn't much film or digital that rises to the top, that is the nature of
    any medium ..

  8. #118
    MaximusM3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    756
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    To me it doesn't matter. Both are very nice images and got me interested enough to check out your portfolio.

    You do really nice work! Count me as a fan.
    Well, thank you, Alan! Exactly, it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, it is always about the image and the print.

  9. #119
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vic., Australia.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,682
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sorry to say this, but most film photography is garbage too ..
    there isn't much film or digital that rises to the top, that is the nature of
    any medium ..

    Very true. +10.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

  10. #120
    clayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,838
    Images
    57

    Film really is superior

    People keep doing the "yeah but before the garbage just stayed in shoeboxes" etc comparison. I get that but the volume is no where NEAR the same.

    Before people were cognizant of limited frames on a roll or limited rolls they had. Additionally not everyone took photographs before so there were less actual photographs being shot.

    These days everyone and their uncle are taking shots of the most banal/pointless stuff imaginable and without having to think about limits we arrive at the ultimate terminus when limits are removed: garbage - lots of it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

    http://www.flickr.com/kediwah



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin