Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,602   Online: 1096

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being superior does not necessarily make the alternative worthless, or garbage.

I prefer film over digital. I shoot both, and each has its strengths, as each its weaknesses.

To my mind, to be dismissive of either is a fool's notion.

If digital images are garbage APUG, as well as almost every other Internet destination, is ate up with garbage. Much like the days of our neighbor's vacation slides, a lot of bad images make the rounds. At the same time, were it not for digital images we would not see a lot of the fine analog work we so admire.

As already mentioned, every image you see here is digital. It may not have started out that way, but it is now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Oh, ok, I get it... Digital is a self-cleansing garbage as it auto-destroys itself with time as opposed to film garbage that is so resilient and pollutes our houses. Therefore Digital is da best.

By the way, are we still on APUG or has this forum become a pro-digital forum and I didn't know it? I'm really sorry to hurt all the digital lovers of this forum
    You seem to be confusing "pro film" with "anti digital." One can be pro film without being anti-digital.

I don't love digital. I was going to say - I plan to get a DSLR for the reasons above, but I don't particularly enjoy using digital. I enjoy film for those reasons above - I've always loved the process, which I learned when it was all there was, and I like feeling like I'm actually crafting something, and I work with computers all the time and like to get away from them. But those don't apply to everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't do any digital but, when I see anti-digital arguments spoken in absolutes ("it's all garbage"), I can't help but dismiss it. That sort of arrogance does nothing to promote traditional methods. The (small d) democratization of image making has been enhanced by digital possibilities. There may be more "garbage" created but, on balance, I think there's been more positive than negative. For example, a hybrid workflow has allowed a rediscovery of contact printing processes. Digital may actually save some historic processes from the dustbin of history.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film really is superior

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Digital doesn't need to be vilified to make analog good or desirable.
    Absolutely agreed and for the most part your typical analog shooter doesn't sit around and talk about how much they hate digital.

However it should be noted that the digital crowd isn't exactly kind nor respectful towards their analog "brethren". They disparage film regularly, making ever less subtle cracks about it, it's usefulness, its antiquity, etc. Everyone here knows what I'm talking about and it's a commonly disrespectful ignorant thing that plenty of them spout out at any opportunity and myself I'm sick and tired of hearing that crap from said fauxtographers.

I don't think digital is garbage but I do think there's a unmistakably more amount of garbage as a result of it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    However it should be noted that the digital crowd isn't exactly kind nor respectful towards their analog "brethren". They disparage film regularly, making ever less subtle cracks about it, it's usefulness, its antiquity, etc.
    I don't have a single digital friend who disparages film. To the contrary, they all started with film, and often talk of it fondly. They have the utmost respect for the commitment film requires (having been there themselves). Perhaps the disrespect is from a younger crowd, without an analog background. For those of us of a certain age,I don't think we experience the dismissal you mention.

Shooter
    35mm
    However it should be noted that the digital crowd isn't exactly kind nor respectful towards their analog "brethren". They disparage film regularly, making ever less subtle cracks about it, it's usefulness, its antiquity, etc.
    It's not a technologies fault that some of its users make poor comments; heck, it even happens with analog users here on APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Yes, that wasn't referred to your comments, but to NB23 which dismissed digital as garbage. I was just trying to make a point
    Ok, no problem.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Absolutely agreed and for the most part your typical analog shooter doesn't sit around and talk about how much they hate digital.

However it should be noted that the digital crowd isn't exactly kind nor respectful towards their analog "brethren". They disparage film regularly, making ever less subtle cracks about it, it's usefulness, its antiquity, etc. Everyone here knows what I'm talking about and it's a commonly disrespectful ignorant thing that plenty of them spout out at any opportunity and myself I'm sick and tired of hearing that crap from said fauxtographers.

I don't think digital is garbage but I do think there's a unmistakably more amount of garbage as a result of it.

I agree fully with this! Additionally, if the fauxtographers (what a terrific term!) had started, learned and skilled up with film over several decades, they may just have made a better name for themselves in digital. There are APUG members here who produce beautiful work in digital, not just analogue. Those that know the craft can produce a beautiful image from either method.

Like so many others, I don't ever use a digital camera to hide faults or problems in my photography. I did all that with film and that is still the very best medium to learn from irrespective of knowledge or experience.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    I no is angry. never me angry. I is be honest: I is no like digital. I is free speech ok. Tenkyouverymatch!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I don't have a single digital friend who disparages film. To the contrary, they all started with film, and often talk of it fondly. They have the utmost respect for the commitment film requires (having been there themselves). Perhaps the disrespect is from a younger crowd, without an analog background. For those of us of a certain age,I don't think we experience the dismissal you mention.
    +1... in so may ways.

I have encountered only one person in the last decade who has disparaged film in the very least - that is, outside this particular forum, where, sadly, it seems to have become a regular occurrence.

...your typical analog shooter doesn't sit around and talk about how much they hate digital.
    Except on APUG.

In a former life, I used to teach essay writing, in which, if you are to make a blanket statement that begins "everyone knows", it had better be both accurate and provable. The above statement is neither. I do not believe I am being deliberately obtuse in saying I have had very little experience with the behaviours you mention. If you truly live among such intolerant people, you have my sympathy, but I can assure you that those attitudes are not nearly so widespread as you imagine.

I have mentored many young photographers over the years, most of whom never will spend much time with analog cameras. Nonetheless, they sought me out because I am "the film guy", not in spite of it. Most people I know are respectful of my choice of cameras and the work I do with them. I acknowledge and return their respect by refusing to pass judgement on their choice of cameras or to call them smug and demeaning names behind their backs.

Regards,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin