Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,864   Online: 981

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11151617181920212223 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    And for the 5% of photographers who persist in the effort of moving old data to new media types (to illustrate, we would have moved data from ST-506 MFM drives to RLL drives to ESDI drives to IDE (PATA) drives then to SATA drives just to keep data accessible from 1985 to 2013...assuming we had a PC that could support each generation's move to new controllers!) if each of us passes on and we have relative(s) inherit our harddrives, the chances are very slim that it will go to the 5% of that generation that cares enough to keep the data transportable... 1:8000 odds simply to get thru 3 generations of 'those that care enough' !
    I guess I'm doing well, then. Without even trying we've 4 actual generations of film and prints in the house (more if you consider my grandfather reproduced late, and I'm also old enough to have spawned yet another generation).
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    It's called a film recorder - takes your digital file and laser transfers it onto real film. They've been around quite awhile. Not a cheap service,
    however.
    I'm very familiar with film recorders (of several types) and even wrote some software for one during my days at Kodak. I mentioned Acme Works Digital Film Digineg because it offers an actual service that is available to photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I printed some shots from my fathers first roll of film, somewhere around 1944, I have files on disks with with no computer that can read them. The only stuff I store digitally is stuff I can do without.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    It's called a film recorder - takes your digital file and laser transfers it onto real film. They've been around quite awhile. Not a cheap service,
    however.
    I know them well. I used to use one in college. Anyway that's why I said economical. Any film recorder will not be cheap especially ones hat can match the resolution of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    And for the 5% of photographers who persist in the effort of moving old data to new media types (to illustrate, we would have moved data from ST-506 MFM drives to RLL drives to ESDI drives to IDE (PATA) drives then to SATA drives just to keep data accessible from 1985 to 2013...<snip>
    Or you could have put them on a CD in 1985 and still be able to use the data.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Both film and digital can produce excellent results and both have their supporters and detractors. At least my film cameras didn't come with a 400 page manual.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Or you could have put them on a CD in 1985 and still be able to use the data.
    Except that CD often degrade in a few decades and the data will no longer be retrievable.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Except that CD often degrade in a few decades and the data will no longer be retrievable.
    I disagree with you, Sirius.

I've found it doesn't take a few decades.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Gelatin can degrade in a few hours if conditions are right! Most of the slides I took in the 1980s have at least some mildew on them. My music CDs from the late 80s are still fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I disagree with you, Sirius.

I've found it doesn't take a few decades.
    Actually I have had Cd go bad in less than two years. I was being polite to avoid a flame war from digi-lovers and Peltigera.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin