Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,706   Online: 930

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121617181920212223 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Gelatin can degrade in a few hours if conditions are right! Most of the slides I took in the 1980s have at least some mildew on them. My music CDs from the late 80s are still fine.
    Then you made little or no effort to store the slides properly. If you had store the CDs in the same environment the metal foil would have delaminated from the plastic substrait. I am sure that I have much more experience than you with digital media, since I have been programming computers since October 1962.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Gelatin can degrade in a few hours if conditions are right! Most of the slides I took in the 1980s have at least some mildew on them. My music CDs from the late 80s are still fine.
    That's your fault for not storing them properly. All the slides I took in the 2000s, 1990s,1980s and 1970s are in pristine condition. The Kodachromes taken of me as a newborn and processed in Jan 1961 are also in excellent condition.

Store your CDs on the floor without protective cases and see how well they last.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Score:
    Peltigera 0
    APUG film users 2
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Store your CDs on the floor without protective cases and see how well they last.
    I doubt film would survive under such severe condition either.

FWIW, my concern with CD/DVD storage is more with the lifetime of the necessary readers than it is with the media. The first CDs suffered from 'CD rot' as described earlier, but the current Gold media doesn't have those problems.

(BTW, I've been programing computers since 1960 )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Score:
    Peltigera 0
    APUG film users 2
    Fine. Understanding can be hard. My point, which clearly escaped you completely, is that storage conditions matter - film will deteriorate and so will CDs (and anything else you can think of). Stored well, CDs can certainly last 30 years - mine have. They have not been around long enough to know beyond that. Stored badly, they will not last.

Was that any clearer for you?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I alwas enjoy threads like this.

Amazing how Civil War photos have survived the test of time. Ken Burns's documentry photos were mostly recovered glass plates from old green houses down south.

Storage can be a problem in any medium but find a CD in the garbage heap say 50 years from now, hold it up to the sun n what do you see?... Try finding a computer to read it?

Whereas find a negative from 200 years ago and you can still make out an image... Maybe your cd is too dependant on today's technology to be of any archival value down the road?

I think many of us filmheads understand how important archival storage is worth... We go to great lengths tp preserve our negatves.... At least i do. I consider my digital work disposable and worthless.

I still rember some fortran, cobal n z80 machine code.

Last edited by paul ron; 12-13-2013 at 01:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    CD's are wonderfully retrievable. Golden retrievers love to play fetch with them. I'd imagine most other retrievers would too. They toss great...
    really nice for skeet shooting also.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    CD's are wonderfully retrievable. Golden retrievers love to play fetch with them. I'd imagine most other retrievers would too. They toss great...
    really nice for skeet shooting also.
    I use them for pistol practice at 50 yds. When I get two thirds of a cylinder in the CD I'm happy! And if you're bored (or have some really bad music) you can put the CD in a microwave and watch it zap crackle and melt.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 12-13-2013 at 02:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just wondering; who on APUG makes high quality backups/copies on FILM of his/her negatives and slides and stores those at a different location than at home. So that if your house burns down, gets flooded or totally shredded in a storm or tornado, you still have your backups and you haven't lost all those years of your photographic efforts? Easy to do with digital; a 1..3 TB portable hard dive is small and fairly cheap. Do a backup every week and keep it for example at work. And when you buy that new computer anyway, it comes with a much bigger hard drive than the old computer. Enough space to move your old files over and add more. And if you're smart, you put 2 hard drives in a mirror configuration in the new computer. If one drive fails, you still have the other plus the external backup.

You can also print your digital images on photographic paper and store them in a box in the attic.

Come on people, film and digital both have their pros and cons but neither is superior. Just enjoy the pros of both, live with the cons of both and stop comparing the two. In the end it's the image/photograph/print that counts, the medium and process are irrelevant. Is a nice painting superior to a nice photograph?
    Last edited by spijker; 12-13-2013 at 02:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin