Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,314   Online: 1025

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1317181920212223
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by spijker View Post
    Just wondering; who on APUG makes high quality backups/copies on FILM of his/her negatives and slides and stores those at a different location than at home. So that if your house burns down, gets flooded or totally shredded in a storm or tornado, you still have your backups and you haven't lost all those years of your photographic efforts? Easy to do with digital; a 1..3 TB portable hard dive is small and fairly cheap. Do a backup every week and keep it for example at work. And when you buy that new computer anyway, it comes with a much bigger hard drive than the old computer. Enough space to move your old files over and add more. And if you're smart, you put 2 hard drives in a mirror configuration in the new computer. If one drive fails, you still have the other plus the external backup.
    Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by spijker View Post
    Come on people, film and digital both have their pros and cons but neither is superior. Just enjoy the pros of both, live with the cons of both and stop comparing the two. In the end it's the image/photograph/print that counts, the medium and process are irrelevant. Is a nice painting superior to a nice photograph?
    No, Film clearly is archival; digital clearly is not archival.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My negatives are all (50 years worth) in a fireproof rated document safe. No back ups needed.

Now your hard drive backup is only as good as the technology you read the drive with.

My old DOS files on 5 1/4" floppies are history just as all my old tax info on 8" floppies, never to be recovered regardless of how many Chyane taspes it was backed to and my mainframe IBM computer 10" reel tapes will never be seen again... Those were my backups... All out dated technology not worth recovering because it would cost too much to chase so many years, and i really have no idea what is on any of my backups since i have no way to selectively preview the data to be converted.

So even if you backed to a raid server, it will all be worthless in 50 years unless you chase technology n convert every image you own to the most recent technology. How many BETA vcr tapes did you convert to VHS.. then to DVD then to Blue Ray, then n then n then... compounding each time you convert.... Just not worth the head ache.

So my valued work is always done on film, my fun pix are digital but regarded as disposabe n worthless to me.

But i am not making an argument which is better, just which medium has archival value n proven longevity.

I don't make my living from photography but if i did, digital would be my number one choice.... Fast n easy!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read some time ago that Getty Images questioned the longevity of digital files and was having there most important digital files made into negatives and stored in a vault.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IF the data is still good - magnetic retention not being all that - I could still read your 5.25" floppies. Some of us keep old computer hardware around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And I could still read Hollerith cards if I still had a card reader.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    And I could still read Hollerith cards if I still had a card reader.
    It would be slow, but if the data was important enough, you could read them by eye.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I doubt film would survive under such severe condition either.

FWIW, my concern with CD/DVD storage is more with the lifetime of the necessary readers than it is with the media. The first CDs suffered from 'CD rot' as described earlier, but the current Gold media doesn't have those problems.

(BTW, I've been programing computers since 1960 )
    And also, IIRC Writable CD's are just 0/1s burned by a laser to a dye layer in the CD. But Audio/Video Discs pressed to Aluminium (such as the original CDs) seem to last much better. First pressings of some interesting albums are still going strong around the bay!
    I remember a few years ago I got some CD's and DVD's from Verbatim and they loudly advertised "Azo" on the box.

I think CDs are just a polycarbonate disc with a metal layer and dye, which contains the burned data. Dyes... Same as on colour film.

Digital has the great advangatge of infinite lossless copies... But its intagibility offsets this. As many here I own old photo materials (70s-80s) and most are well. They were left alone on some drawers in our old house.

I think Audio Tape of 40-60 years is still fine, if kept well, that is. They are slowly deteriorating and there is the "baking" issue on the 70s material. I don't know how similar is videotape... With the collection of family memories I've got some Sony Hi8 tapes, that I should rip to the PC soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    It would be slow, but if the data was important enough, you could read them by eye.
    Yes, there are 80 columns per card and 2,000 cards per box each of which has to be transcribed and if the language they were programmed in is no longer used ... that does not make a pretty picture.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin