Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,800   Online: 854

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My new HP computer, 5 months old, hard drive died. I had nothing backed up, always had ever intention of doing it. I have a very small understanding of all things digital, I know how to use my digital camera to produce decent photos but have no clue how this is done. Several years ago I bought a external hard drive to back up photos, still have it, but it failed. Also never realized that all CD's were not created equal.

My photos, 35mm slides and prints plus Polaroid photos from my tour of Nam in 68 and 69 most still look great. In my years of wandering they were not always stored under ideal conditions. The photos and slides have been stored in various shoebox's over the years. So what does this mean, which is better? For me it would seem that I am better of with my film due to my lack of knowledge of all thing digital. At least I now store all negatives in sleeves in ring binders.

David
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's it right there. Under real world conditions, prints just work. Put 500 prints in a shoebox and 100 years later, odds are you will have 500 prints. Put 500 prints on a CD and 100 years later, odds are you will have a coaster.

Shooter
    Large Format
    What about Archival Gold CD-R discs?

I bought some of these from the local camera shop. They were not cheap and are rated for 300 year archival storage. Now I don't really believe that but how good are they?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Even if digital longevity storage wasn't an issue, I still couldn't overcome the whole digital process: digging into folders, open windows/folders, browsing through the thumbnails, naming/renaming files. WTF???

I'm sorry but they aren't photographs and that isn't photography. It's Fileographs and Fileography. Drives me insane.

Anyone read their "newspapers" on their iphone? Is there something more inhuman then that? The noise of the newspaper, the feel in hand, the obligatory posture, the smell! The swears while trying to find an article, the sheet that won't stay steady, the folding, the pitching it on the table. Reading the news? Quite a secondary experience next to the senses' overload of what a physical newspaper brings as a whole experience. iPhone? Meh.

File-O-Graphy. Garbage-O-graphy. All the same. Has nothing to do with real photography, even if storage wasn't an issue.
    I'm with you 100%. Especially about the feel and smell of a newspaper (I prefer the Chicago Sun Times when I can get it) But when you keep doing something over and over again to dissatisfaction and an unchanging result,I think that meets one definition of crazy so STOP doing it and stick with film. You'll probably sleep better at night. [There, that was easy ].
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    I'm with you 100%. Especially about the feel and smell of a newspaper (I prefer the Chicago Sun Times when I can get it) But when you keep doing something over and over again to dissatisfaction and an unchanging result,I think that meets one definition of crazy so STOP doing it and stick with film. You'll probably sleep better at night. [There, that was easy ].
    Mark
    Also couldn't agree more....when I'm travelling in the morning on the London Underground, opposite me are all these geeky people wearing earphones, transfixed by their i-phone and Kindle screens, like so many robots.....Sometimes I feel like the only humanoid on the train, my ancient Nokia firmly in my pocket.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    What about Archival Gold CD-R discs?

I bought some of these from the local camera shop. They were not cheap and are rated for 300 year archival storage. Now I don't really believe that but how good are they?
    My concern has always been, not with the lifetime of the Gold CDs, but the 'lifetime' of the technology needed to read the discs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    My concern has always been, not with the lifetime of the Gold CDs, but the 'lifetime' of the technology needed to read the discs.
    That's a very good point. Technology keeps moving faster and faster. I took a class in Digital Energy Management Systems 20 years ago. We stored our information on floppy discs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I found out about this some years ago. I use to make my own music CD's for driving. Old CD player went out, new player would not play my home made CDs. The best that I could understand explanation it was formatted differently. By the way that computer had a "floppy disc" reader

I am not against digital, but unless taking photos of fast grandkids I use my DSLR on manual. And yes I check after most shots

David
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Also couldn't agree more....when I'm travelling in the morning on the London Underground, opposite me are all these geeky people wearing earphones, transfixed by their i-phone and Kindle screens, like so many robots.....Sometimes I feel like the only humanoid on the train, my ancient Nokia firmly in my pocket.
    Sounds to me like there's an excellent photographic essay in there someplace ( done with analog equipment of course)
    Mark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    Sounds to me like there's an excellent photographic essay in there someplace ( done with analog equipment of course)
    Mark
    I think you are onto something there, Mark. Shoot them with some gritty high speed b&w 35mm film!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin