Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,947   Online: 969

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Questions re RB67 Pro S CDS Finder and replacing foam seals

I just received my RB67 today with one 120 back and two 220 backs. I also got a CDS Prism.

The foam seals seem to be deteriorated in that when I touch my finger on them some black residue comes off. I have just run a roll of film through the 120 back to see if there are light leaks. I called my local photo repair shop and he quoted me a price of $80 per back to change the seals. This seemed pricey especially since I could buy a used back with good seals for about the same amount. Where is there a reputable place for me to buy some foam seal kits?

The second issue is the CDS finder in that the exposure meter doesn't appear to be working. I replaced the batteries and pressed the button on the side to ensure that the batteries have a full charge. The green light came on. After moving the switch to the "On" position the needle doesn't move regardless of any changes I make to the speed or aperture. Is there anything else I can do to check to see if the meter is operative? The seller assured me that it was working fine.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you aer handy, change the seals yourself. Jon Goodman on e-bay sells the kits at a very reasonable price and it includes instructions. How are the seals on hte body?

Put a bright light inside your bellows with the bellows fully extended.. in a darkroom, check it carefully for any light leaks.. especially at the corners of the folds.

Your meter will only move if you change the amount of light coming in the lens. It is not linked to the speed n aperture at all. It is an indendant meter.. the big dial on the side is to make adjustments to null hte meter n make your readings.

Get the manual here.....
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/...rb67_pro_s.htm

and if for some reason your camera won't fire or cock.. NEVER FORCE IT! Stop what you are doing n go over all the safety interlocks.

Also be sure to cock the body and the lens before mounting a lens or you will lock it up.. it will cock half way n be stuck there!

e-mail me if you have any questions?
    paul
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Paul. I found out yesterday from my photo tech guy that I was using the light meter wrong. I was thinking it was TTL and had been changing the aperture to try and make it work. Then he showed me that I need to use the dial on the meter and then take that reading and set the appropriate aperture and speed.

I had already downloaded the manual from Butkus and it is very helpful.

I tried finding Jon Goodman on eBay using an eBay ID that another member had posted. but I can't find him under that ID. I also searched on eBay for light seal kits but couldn't find any for the RB67.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You bet
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just emailed Jon and he has already responded. He no longer sells on eBay, but one can buy directly from him. Seems like a really nice guy.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin