Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,059   Online: 873

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Like all gamblers, we remember the wins as if they were yesterday, and conveniently forget the losses. I too have figured out how to win the eBay game....I don't play it any more. Like any game of chance (and eBay is truly that unless you buy from someone you know there), the house has the odds, and the more you play, the more likely you are to lose. I buy from Igor, KEH, Sammy Koh, even amazon before going there, unless I absolutely have to have something and no one else has it. That rarely happens. Life is much nicer now

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    3000' of modern era Kodak MP color for 100$. I actually felt bad for the seller.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This thread strikes a chord with me. I have rarely had success on Ebay, but today I won a Canon FP, claimed to be fully functional, for 27 euros. I wait to see how it works out. Where I am there is little alternative, except occasional interesting offers from private sellers and very rarely something worthwhile in a pawnshop. The nearest shop to my home for the first time to my amazement has something, a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super BC three lens kit with cases!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Twenty odd years of evaluating and buying and part exchanging used photographic equipment from the public for the company I worked for was enough to make me very sceptical because to hear the sellers speak nothing was ever faulty, everything was always mint, and to buy cameras and lenses 20-40 years old or more sight unseen from an auction site from the other side of the World brings to mind the old saying about " buying a pig in a poke". I admit I do buy stuff off eBay but only small accessories like lens hoods, focusing screens etc. and odds and ends that are unobtainable elsewhere.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no problems buying off Ebay - but there are some pretty obvious pointers to condition:

Out of focus photographs are hard to produce with modern digital cameras so if the photos ARE out of focus, the seller is hiding something.
    Even someone completely ignorant of cameras can tell if knobs turn and buttons press - if they won't tell you so, either the knobs don't turn or the buttons don't press.
    Someone who has listed several 'faults' has probably listed them all (and a fifty-year-old camera like I buy WILL have faults).

I have only once bought a camera off Ebay that was nothing like as described and that went back for a full refund. I have also bought cameras that were not quite as described and I have actually sold those again on Ebay for more by accurately describing them.

Shooter
    35mm
    each time i get that congrats email from ebay i remind myself of the quote i once picked up on some forum, "i am the moron who just agreed to pay more than anyone else on the planet was willing to"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    each time i get that congrats email from ebay i remind myself of the quote i once picked up on some forum, "i am the moron who just agreed to pay more than anyone else on the planet was willing to"

but only slightly more
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+49 176 7327 8527|skype:cezzem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are some buyers on eBay who pay insane amounts of money for the silliest things, I saw a replacement Canon AE coupler cover for a Canon new F1, which is a small aluminium (aluminum) screw about 1/4" in diameter that covers one of the motor drive connections that somebody in Germany was selling for £30 ( $ 46.90 ) plus postage.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    I have no problems buying off Ebay - but there are some pretty obvious pointers to condition:

Out of focus photographs are hard to produce with modern digital cameras so if the photos ARE out of focus, the seller is hiding something.
    Even someone completely ignorant of cameras can tell if knobs turn and buttons press - if they won't tell you so, either the knobs don't turn or the buttons don't press.
    The converse is also true. They can't get a sharp image to save their life and the description isn't trying to deceive, it is just ignorance.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have bought quite a number of cameras and lenses from Ebay, all European sellers and all with at least 99.5% rating and willing to accept returns. The sellers all gave realistic descriptions except one. I had that one bad experience with a seller with a 99+% rating, who advertised a Canon F1 as in "great condition" and "fully functioning". It was only fit for spares. The return shipping I had to pay was fairly expensive. The guy then advertised it again as "mint" and at the bottom in small print he listed the three serious visible defects that I had listed, but ignored the fact that the galvanometer was bust. The guy then disappeared totally from the site!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin