Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,985   Online: 1014

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Ive won at ebay a number of times, usually due to the seller advwrtising the camera and not the expensive.lens.attached to it... my best scores have been:

Nikon fg for $35 -- happened to come with a 50mm 1.2
    Nikon f4 for $300 -- came with a mint 80-200mm 2.8 afs
    Speed graphic fir $180 -- came with an aero ektar

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have had some good scores, and I think it comes down to reading between the lines. I usually score with people selling something they don't really know about and poor photos. I take a chance. Retina III Big C for < £50 in virtually mint and a virtually mint Ikon Nettar for £36 with original receipt, guarantee. This sellar was obviously "old school gent" because he even refunded a £1 postage (obviously unasked) because the actual postage was less than he had to pay!!! I had some email conversation with him afterwards and sent a couple of prints I had taken with the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This sellar was obviously "old school gent" because he even refunded a £1 postage
    I have refunded some of the shipping, if it turned out to be less than expected, a couple of times on items I have sold on eBay.
    I was amazed at some of the response of thanks I received; however, I never thought of myself as an old school gent. I guess that is a good thing so I'll take it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My latest ebay buys are a nice RB67 ProS and Caltar II 210mm lens. I try to look at the photos and make sure they are of the item I and purchasing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
    I've managed to stumble into a couple of amazing deals, the most recent being a mint Bronica S2 for $120. I found it at a used camera shop in columbus ohio and had to have it when I found out not only how cheap it was, but that it also had a Nikkor lens. I've put about 15 rolls of 120 through it with only 1 very minor problem, a cable release works fine if threaded into the shutter button but doesn't do anything through the cable release port on the bottom of the body. Personally I can't imagine ever needing the one on the bottom so it's fine with me.
    Think the one on the bottom is for a double release does it fire the mirror ok?

Shooter
    35mm
    Ebay is fine as long as you understand the rules of engagement, namely that there are fees involved and sellers can be unreliable.

Any sale of something you have previously bought will result in 14% going off to Paypal and Ebay combined. Therefore, if you want a reasonable guarantee on not losing money, only bid up to 86% of what you think you can sell it for, including postage. If you are a dab hand at taking photos, buyers will pay a small premium for well described stuff, which can mitigate the cost of fees. I actually have a little spreadsheet which tracks what I have bought and sold, and what I currently have in my collection. The net cost of Ebay including fees, if I would sell all my kit at a fair price would see me up by about GBP 500. Not that the time I have spent going to the post office has been compensated by GBP 500, but its a means of making sure I don't get carried away, in particular, the inventory aspect of this means that I can curb LBA.

Ebay is particularly great for building a collection of camera kit, I think. I have a nice enlarging lens from Ebay, a Fujinon EX 75mm f4, which I picked up for a fair price in comparison to other enlarging lenses. It would simply not be possible to buy this elsewhere (maybe other than on APUG). I have built a Bronica ETRSi kit up through Ebay, but only bought the body and lenses which looked like they were in good condition, and came with boxes. With unclear auctions, I just don't feel the risk of receiving something faulty is worth my time in terms of resolving potential problems. For my 35mm kit, it took a while to work out which stuff to buy and I have bought and sold a lot of stuff in building up my ideal collection (although that's still open to question). Once I had decided on Pentax, I have had stuff serviced, lenses and bodies, in order to get the best performance out of them. Its a little unrealistic to think 30 year old camera kit is going to perform at its best without some TLC.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin