Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,134   Online: 894

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wide and Tele adapters for Rolleiflex 2.8 TLR?

Hi!

I'm the proud owner of a Rolleiflex 2.8 D. It is a great MF camera to bring around for portrait and street photography. The only things I've found a little frustrating are maybe the lack of an internal meter and the fixed "standard" angle of view.

There are situations where I would really benefit of a wider angle and situations where a short tele could be helpful.

As far as I know there are adapters made by Rollei - the wide mutar and the tele mutar - which transform the 80mm in a ~55mm or a ~135mm. Although I have never seen a picture made with such adapters, apparently they have a good reputation. Bottom line: they're not easy to find and each cost as much as another TLR camera in excellent conditions... Speaking of, there are also Wide-Rollei and Tele-Rollei cameras, but they sell for over 1000-1500€/$ when you find one...

Is there some solution to get a wider or shorter angle on a Rolleilfex TLR without too much loss of definition and image quality? I realize that often quality doens't mean "cheap", but I wouldn't really spend too much money just for some "collector's item"...

Regards

Shooter
    Large Format
    Fulvio; I have both wide and tele Mutars for my 3.5 F. I bought them when I was feeling flush. The tele is better than the wide but I don't use either anymore. The joy of a Rollei is the light weight and easy handling. The Mutar's are quite heavy and bulky off the front. I feel they are indeed "collector's items". Too much to carry around. I also find your photography improves when you only have one lens.

Shooter
    35mm

Mutars

I have never used the Rollei Mutars. If my memory serves mw correctly the tele Mutar is more like about 115mm than 135mm. I mention this because it might influence your decision.

Shooter
    127 Format
    There were tele and wide adaptors made by Sun for various rollei's - not sure if they'll fit yours (I think they're usually bay 1 - they may not fit the larger lenses). They're not too badly priced, though I don't know what the quality is like - I've heard its not so great.

I picked up the 44 version for my baby rollei but haven't tried it out yet.

I kind of agree that the rollei experience is to enjoy them as they are. I got the adaptor to give me a little more flexablility (plus it turned up at the right price), but trying too hard to turn them into a "system" spoils the fun.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Weren't they matched to the 75 mm lens rather than the 80 mm? That doesn't mean that they won't work with the 80, just that their performance and coverage might not be as good.

Tele-converters that go in front of the lens have the advantage of not affecting the aperture (ie f/5.6 stays f/5.6, unlike a behind-the-lens converter). This is offset by the requirement to stop down for decent performance - the performance at f/2.8 and f/4 may be poor.

I wonder if a Mamiya with interchangeable lenses might not be a better option than a pair of Mutars if you really want different focal lengths.

An aside: though Rollei managed to turn out the 4.0 FW (the new version of the wide) it looks like the promised new version of the tele will not go into production. Potential sales expected to suffer because of the same old drawback that the original had: poor minimum focussing distance? The two Tele-Rolleinars get round that, but with some inconvenience.

Best,
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen B; 01-28-2005 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Quote Originally Posted by 127
    There were tele and wide adaptors made by Sun for various rollei's - not sure if they'll fit yours (I think they're usually bay 1 - they may not fit the larger lenses). They're not too badly priced, though I don't know what the quality is like - I've heard its not so great.

I picked up the 44 version for my baby rollei but haven't tried it out yet.

I kind of agree that the rollei experience is to enjoy them as they are. I got the adaptor to give me a little more flexablility (plus it turned up at the right price), but trying too hard to turn them into a "system" spoils the fun.

Ian
    I took a roll of 127 Vericrome last fall in a Baby Rollei with the Sun wide angle attachment, not expecting much. I was amazed at the result at f11- tack sharp into the corners with a trace of vignetting. Enlarges to 11x14 effortlessly.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "adapter" lenses are usually made to fit a Bay 1. They were made by Rollei, Yashica and Sun (among others). I have the wide one but rarely use it. It seems to work fine, but I never tried making a huge enlargement to really check it out. Up to an 8x10 print they seem to do OK, but I wouldn't push it much further. You will want to stop down a bit, as the maker recommended anyway.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin