Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,473   Online: 1120

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Question re using extension tubes on RB67 Pro S

I have extension tubes 1 and 2 and today I tried using tube # 2 for the first time. I tried it on the 180mm and 65mm lenses. In both cases, when looking through the finder, the focusing screen was almost totally opaque. I moved the bellows in and out, and tried it on objects at different distances and still got the same result. I waved my hand in front of the lens just to be sure that the shutter was open, and indeed it was.

I'd appreciate some guidance as to the use of extension tubes.

Thanks
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What aperture do you have set on the lens?

Sounds like the depth of field preview function may be locked "on".

The depth of field can be ridiculously slim, and the working distance (with the 180mm lens) is surprisingly generous.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I had the lenses set at max aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First, see if the mirror is up and make sure the camera body is cocked.

Second, The #2 extension may be too much for the 65mm lens, the #1 extension focuses roughly between 1.5"&3.5" with #2 the focus point may be theoretically, inside the lens itself, so unusable.

The 180 though should have given you something between 1'4"&1'9"
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The body was cocked and I had the mirror up. I will try again tomorrow with the # 1 tube.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With the mirror up the screen will always seem opaque. Mirror must be down to use the viewfinder.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    With the mirror up the screen will always seem opaque. Mirror must be down to use the viewfinder.
    +1

Not just with the extension tubes.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin