Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,498   Online: 913

Shooter
    Medium Format

Compensation Ring on Mamiya 7II - how does it work?

Hi,

I just picked up one of these beauties and have a question regarding the compensation ring. Could someone please tell me if I've got this right? I think it's supposed to allow me to adjust the shutter speed by 1 1/3 stops in 1/3 increments in either direction. If that's correct would that mean that setting the shutter speed at 400, the aperture at f/11 and then setting the compensation ring at minus 1/3 I'd be doing the same thing as setting the aperture to f/8 2/3?

It would seem to me that using the ring would be more accurate. However, I ran a test roll through it using all the settings on the compensation ring with the shutter set at 1/60 and the aperture set at f/11 and they all look exactly the same. I'm using Tri-x 400 and developing/printing them myself so I'm confident that part of the process is correct.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a polariod filter for the 7II that flips up so you can view through the view finder and also get the normal scene reading through the lens, via the in camera meter. But I have never seen or heard of a compensating ring? Do you mean the little dial that lets you change fron + to - exposure? It might even be helpful if you could show me a pic of it. Actually the only spot you could use a digital pic is to show something in this instance so dont be afraid.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The compensation ring only affects the meter reading. There are no true half or third stops on the Mamiya 7 in manual mode. In auto mode the meter is accurate to a 1/6 stop I believe. In manual you can set the ring about 1/2 way between two stops, but there are no detents.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    The compensation ring only affects the meter reading. There are no true half or third stops on the Mamiya 7 in manual mode. In auto mode the meter is accurate to a 1/6 stop I believe. In manual you can set the ring about 1/2 way between two stops, but there are no detents.
    Thanks,

That explains why the whole contact sheet looks the same.
    Thanks a bunch.

Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin