Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,569   Online: 797

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Handheld flash for Mamiya 7

Hi,

I'm looking for a Handheld flash for Mamiya 7 (street portrait on a tripod).
    Can you recommend me one under $300 and one under $200?

Thanks,
    Last edited by rustyair; 09-11-2013 at 06:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How about a Nikon SB-24/26/28? They aren't compatible with digital TTL, so you should be about to get one for <$100, all fairly bright for close range stuff. Vivitar 283's are dirt cheap as well, but perhaps not (IMO) as fast to use manually.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I've been using a Metz 54MZ-4 with my Mamiya 7. It works great on auto or manual. I bought it used on eBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Metz potato mashers (CT/CL) are powerful, cheap and reliable, if previous recommendations aren't what you're looking for.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi there,

Metz 45 or the more powerful Metz 60 can easily be found around the 50 - 100 Dollar, Euro, Pound bracket and remain extremely good and reliable. So many were sold that extra batteries, synch cords, etc regularly come up on auction sites. I have both units with extra batteries and, although very rarely used, they both work fine. By the way, the trick with the more powerful Metz 60 with its shoulder carried external battery pack is to not carry it on your shoulder (always keeps falling off or getting in the way) but to sling it around your waist.

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any Nikon, Canon, etc flash will work with appropriate radio slaves or PC-sync cables, as will any third-party clones eg Sigma, Metz, etc. Sony/Minolta too, though you require a foot adapter. You should be able to get something with about 80-100Ws of power for under $300 secondhand, under $100 for an off-brand cheapy (Sigma, Vivitar or even a Chinese generic).

When comparing battery hotshoe flashes, the power ratings are very deceptive because they quote GN instead of total energy. And they quote GN with the narrowest possible beam that the flash can produce, which differs between models. So you might find that a cheaper, lower power flash that produces a very narrow beam can quote a higher GN than a more powerful flash that produces a wider beam. My Minolta 5600HS(D) each produce about 1 stop more power than a Sigma flash that claims the same 56m GN.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vivitar 283 under $50. good power, if you want variable output use a VP-1 that plugs into the socket for the auto sensor. Simple handle can be made from a piece of dowel with an accessory shoe glued on. GN of 110 with ISO 100 film.

Any flash whether it's rated by WS, GN, joules or furlongs per fortnight are guesses, I mean estimates. So much will depend on the design of the reflectors there is no real comparison of one brand to another.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Vivitar 283 under $50. good power, if you want variable output use a VP-1 that plugs into the socket for the auto sensor. Simple handle can be made from a piece of dowel with an accessory shoe glued on. GN of 110 with ISO 100 film.

Any flash whether it's rated by WS, GN, joules or furlongs per fortnight are guesses, I mean estimates. So much will depend on the design of the reflectors there is no real comparison of one brand to another.
    No. GN is the product of total power and optical gain (like antenna gain) i.e. beam narrowness from the reflector. If you shoot with direct illumination then GN is a meaningful measure. But if you shoot with any modifier (e.g. umbrella or softbox) where all the power goes into the modifier, then it's power that matters and GN is irrelevant.

The cheap flashes (Sigma, Vivitar, Yongnuo, etc) are cheap because they're quite low power and they strive for a big GN for advertising purposes through a very tight reflector pattern. Of course, they don't tell you the actual power.

Old Metz flashes are generally pretty high in power and (particularly when/because they're not compatible with a modern TTL system) can be found quite cheaply. That's the way I'd go if I were you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vivitar 285

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would recommend a Metz 45 CT5 spud masher gun it has a true guide number of 45 meters, variable power Full, Half, quarter, plus 6 auto computer apertures, and T.T.L capability s with the correct S.C.A adaptor, this is a reliable professional flashgun that has high quality German engineering going for it if you need to come back with pictures not excuses that's within your budget http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metz-45-CT-5...-/161105050252. I have no connection with eBay or this seller.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-13-2013 at 09:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin