Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,724   Online: 758

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for the review link - I have been setting the floating element correctly every time with the 50mm but I still find it has quite a bit of CA. My experience seems quite similar to that of the reviewer - the 90mm is a great lens, the 50mm leaves something to be desired. I just wish I knew whether the 65mm KL would be closer to the 90 in terms of performance.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    thanks for the review link - I have been setting the floating element correctly every time with the 50mm but I still find it has quite a bit of CA. My experience seems quite similar to that of the reviewer - the 90mm is a great lens, the 50mm leaves something to be desired. I just wish I knew whether the 65mm KL would be closer to the 90 in terms of performance.
    A more modern lens should be better.
    The floating element optimises all aspects of performance.
    I get trouble with wide apertures and film flatness. But my 90 is better than the 65 or 50 and you need to stop down more with the wides.
    Are you taking close ups with wides?
    How large are your prints that you see the problems on and are you rubbing your nose on the prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 65mm C and a 50mm C, as well as a 90mm C and a 140mm KL. Both the 65 and 50 are lovely lenses. I've never had any problems with them. I print up to 12"x16" and at that scale they give me all the resolution and quality I could hope for.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay thanks xtolsinffer - do you notice more CA with your 50 than with the other lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    okay thanks xtolsinffer - do you notice more CA with your 50 than with the other lenses?
    No, no difference at normal viewing distances on the print - and these would be 10"x8" or 12"x16" prints...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    No, no difference at normal viewing distances on the print - and these would be 10"x8" or 12"x16" prints...
    What about at very close viewing distances, specifically looking for differences?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the problem could be exacerbated for me by the fact that I scan all my colour negs so at 100% the scans definitely show the differences between the lenses. However I just ordered a 65mm KL so hopefully it will be an improvement on the 50!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    just an update to this thread if anyone is wondering. I have not done rigorous standardized testing of the 50mmC and 65mm KL lenses, but I have used both extensively in the last little while. My impression is that the 65mm KL is a much better performer - pretty much no CA. Also both lenses are very sharp in the plane of critical focus, but the 65mm KL is sharper for things that fall into the planes of acceptable focus according to the aperture's depth of field. That is awkwardly put by I didn't know how else to say it.

Anyway I am going to keep the 50 because it has come in handy for situations where I specifically needed the extreme angle of view, but the 65 KL will be my go-to lens from now on. It is fantastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And i am waiting to get my 65mm, it may get here next week, no rush, i have 50mm RZ lens and i use that a lot, will see how that 65mm on RB is comparing to 50mm on RZ.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin