Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,900   Online: 1181

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WLF vs Prism?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh yeah, one other thing - in spite of the name I rarely shoot the WLF at waist level. Most of the time I use the magnifier on my Yashica and hold the camera up to my head where I look down with my eye right at the finder. I do sometimes use it at waist level but most often it is, in practice, more of a "neck level" finder and given that I am 6' tall that could easily be eye level for someone, say, 5'6".

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Oh yeah, one other thing - in spite of the name I rarely shoot the WLF at waist level. Most of the time I use the magnifier on my Yashica and hold the camera up to my head where I look down with my eye right at the finder. I do sometimes use it at waist level but most often it is, in practice, more of a "neck level" finder
    +1
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you." (the original Willy Wonka: Gene Wilder, 1971)
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On my RB67 I just rotate my back.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a prism finder for my Mamiya C330F but I prefer the W.L.F. most of the time, the prism is a huge chunk of glass and is heavy, I tend to only use it with flash.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, forgot it's not upside down. It seems like I'm always pointing the camera in the wrong direction with a laterally reversed image

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just can't quite get used to the WLF on my old 500c. Always have a 45 degree prism in place...much easier for me YMMV
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    Thanks, forgot it's not upside down. It seems like I'm always pointing the camera in the wrong direction with a laterally reversed image
    Practise. I've photographed bobsleds with a Rollei, panning to follow them.
    Take the camera out near a road and practice panning cars as they go by, you'll catch on pretty quickly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    Most people get used to it and it doesn't bother them. A few don't and just use a prism finder. There is no right or wrong answer. Just use what works for you.

I shoot large format and love it when someone wants to look under my dark cloth. They all say the same thing, "But it's upside down!".

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Most people get used to it and it doesn't bother them. A few don't and just use a prism finder. There is no right or wrong answer. Just use what works for you.

I shoot large format and love it when someone wants to look under my dark cloth. They all say the same thing, "But it's upside down!".
    Then I say:

"Yes, it's an Australian camera" (= on the other side of the globe for Holland)

or

"Oh, wait, I put the camera upside down ..."
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you." (the original Willy Wonka: Gene Wilder, 1971)
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use both, but it depends how I'm using the camera to determine which finder I use.

Mamiya 645 with power winder (or in portrait orientation): prism
    Mamiya 645 w/o power winder (landscape orientation only): WLF
    Bronica SQ-A w/ Speed Grip S: Prism
    Bronica SQ-A w/ handcrank: WLF
    Bronica SQ-Am (builtin power winder only): Prism
    Mamiya RZ67: WLF mainly. This is because the AE Prism weights as much as the body, 110mm lens, and a back by itself. I did use the Prism when shooting high on a tripod.

So pretty much, if I'm using the camera with my hand orientated like I would with an SLR, I'll use the prism. Or if just using the front shutter release and hand winding, I prefer the WLF.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin