Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,102   Online: 1033

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WLF vs Prism?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I find the 500cm heavy enough, so never used a prism. Plus, using the 'blad at eye level does not seem really stable as compared the "regular" much lower position. I use a hand held spot meter to work with the 500CM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm also in the "both" category. There are times when the WLF is the best solution for the Hasselblad and times when the camera position really benefits from using the prism finder. I wouldn't like to be limited to just one or the other, all the time. My prism finder includes a light meter so that adds another bit of convenience at times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Waist level finders. I use them (no choice!) with my Ikoflex and (by choice) with my 35mm Exakta.

I find composition is MUCH easier this way. The reversal thing took me perhaps five rolls of film to master - I do not even think about it now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have both the waist level finder and plain prism for my Bronica SQ-A and all I can say is:

WLF FTW!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle80 View Post
    The square means I never have to try shooting the TLR on its side for a vertical like an SLR.
    Doesn't stop me turning a 6x6 folder through 90 degrees occasionally!

Steve...
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I no longer think about the left-right reversal either, with the possible exception of (as previously mentioned) an odd perspective being chosen - shooting up or down is tricky. Also tricky (but try doing this with a prism finder!) is holding the camera over your head to get a higher perspective - you can gain an extra 2 feet ( 0.7 meters +/- ) of elevation by turning the camera with a waist-level finder upside down and holding it over your head, letting you shoot over crowds or otherwise change your perspective. But when the camera is upside down, it really messes with your head trying to get left/right orientation correct (probably because you've just laterally reversed it again, and your brain is used to it being ass-backwards in the finder as normally used), and changing perspective also now runs counter to expectation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've begun using my 501CM with the PME5 prism finder regardless of the weight, it just works so well.
    Having a built in light meter is really nice to.

I do find the weight a bit of a drag, but it's worth it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm also in the "both" catagory. On my RZ67 I prefer the WLF. I bought my 501c/m with a PM5 prism finder and find focusing with the 45 degree split prism harder than on my Mamiya. But it's all personal preference, I just find focusing with a WLF easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a wlf for my Hasselblad, but I have never used it. I use a prism. The wlf shows the subject upright, however the image has a left-right [for the English right-left] reversal. My past experience with the left-right reversal is that I always swing the camera in the wrong direction when I am tracking a subject. Hence I use the prism which just happens to have a light meter that reads ELV, conveniently.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format

WLF vs Prism?

Another thing, at least on hasselblad, out of all the finders the WLF has the highest magnification. From memory it's x4 or x5. My PM90 has only x2. I find it really hard to get focus right with it. If for you focus is critical and you are working with lens fairly wide open like I do. WLF is the way to go.

And prism weights as much as another lens, we are talking 500g+ here. I will choose a lens over prism.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin