Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,394   Online: 1006

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WLF vs Prism?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnabbott View Post
    For portraits, I have been told that the ideal position is to have the camera about midway, not equal, in height. So when the model is standing, I am sitting or kneeling and the camera is approximately equal in height to the model's pelvis or midsection.
    For environmental portraits, this may be correct.

But it can gives some strange results.

When younger, I had a very experienced photographer tell me that he wouldn't hire a wedding photographer who didn't at least have a prism finder available.

If you use a waist level finder, there is a tendency to end up with a "naval eye view of the world" in your photographs of people.

Which definitely doesn't result in the most flattering view of many wedding guests - including many mothers of the bride!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WLFs provide interesting photographs looking up the subject's nasal passages. WLFs are the darlings of ENT doctors.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking of trying a prism because my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Now I need the cheaters to compose then take them off and flip up the magnifier to ensure focus is right, then flip it back down and wonder where the dogs or grand child moved off to. Since I don't have these issues with the Nikon, I'm wondering if a prism will solve the problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Had a prism on a Rolleiflex once. Great for portraits and fast shooting, but made the camera very top heavy and looked really ugly. On my Rolleicord, I simply swapped out the top WLF for a later one that had a sports finder. That works fine and avoids the weight of a prism housing. Some of the Rolleiflex cameras have a WLF that has a mirror in it so you can push the front in and focus on the mirror that looks down to the focus screen. It gives you an upside down image, but is, again, much lighter than a prism. That's my favorite type of WLF. I should look for one for my Rolleiord. It might fit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Instead of using a prism on a Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, or Mamiyaflex, trade them in a get a prism on a Hasselblad and that will eliminate the balance problem.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    WLFs provide interesting photographs looking up the subject's nasal passages. WLFs are the darlings of ENT doctors.
    Not if you hold the camera closer to your eye like Roger Cole suggests.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Not if you hold the camera closer to your eye like Roger Cole suggests.
    ... And are same height as Roger. Shorter people may not get as good results without a step ladder.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... And are same height as Roger. Shorter people may not get as good results without a step ladder.
    You know Brian, I'm 5'-8". Yeah, short! Anyway If I hold my Hasselblad with waist level finder up to my face or I attach the prism finder it really doesn't make much difference. What do I gain? About 6"?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hahahahhaha and the beat goes on n on.

When shooting models for full body shots, using a prism at eye level makes their legs look short so a lower angle is much more apealing for longer legs n a WLF is a better tool in this case.

FOrt portraits you will be using the 180mm lens so shooting from further back makes no difference WLF or prism but a prism will make your focusing job easier.

so depends on the situation.

OH I hate to get down on the floor for sit posing models, so I use my chimney finder (eq to a WLF).
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    hahahahhaha and the beat goes on n on.

When shooting models for full body shots, using a prism at eye level makes their legs look short so a lower angle is much more apealing for longer legs n a WLF is a better tool in this case.

FOrt portraits you will be using the 180mm lens so shooting from further back makes no difference WLF or prism but a prism will make your focusing job easier.

so depends on the situation.

OH I hate to get down on the floor for sit posing models, so I use my chimney finder (eq to a WLF).
    Thank you, Paul. One is not better than the other and it's nice to own both to give yourself options like I said earlier.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin