Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,425   Online: 1162

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: WLF vs Prism?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just have fun whatever you use, I am sure no matter what you have, you'll make it work one way or another adn eventually frustration will force you get the right tool for the job.

Want to know why I have a chimney and a WLF and a prism?.. can't make up my mind but use em all.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm a retired Union Sheet Metal Worker. I didn't love any of my tools more than the others. I just used the right tool for the job. The result it all that matters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    For environmental portraits, this may be correct.

But it can gives some strange results.

When younger, I had a very experienced photographer tell me that he wouldn't hire a wedding photographer who didn't at least have a prism finder available.

If you use a waist level finder, there is a tendency to end up with a "naval eye view of the world" in your photographs of people.

Which definitely doesn't result in the most flattering view of many wedding guests - including many mothers of the bride!
    Food for thought, but I probably do not agree. To clarify, I am talking about full body images, not shoulder/face portraits. I can see the point for the latter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    hahahahhaha and the beat goes on n on.

When shooting models for full body shots, using a prism at eye level makes their legs look short so a lower angle is much more apealing for longer legs n a WLF is a better tool in this case.

FOrt portraits you will be using the 180mm lens so shooting from further back makes no difference WLF or prism but a prism will make your focusing job easier.
    +1 This is a better explanation of what I was trying to say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnabbott View Post
    Food for thought, but I probably do not agree. To clarify, I am talking about full body images, not shoulder/face portraits. I can see the point for the latter.
    I am chuckling, because I am picturing a couple of wedding participants that I definitely did not want to photograph with a camera that emphasized the waist most of all.

And a camera at waist level tends to do that.

I think the most important thought for me on this issue is that a photographer needs to be able to choose the camera height that is most suitable for the circumstances.

Tall, long-legged models showing off expensive fashions vs. people with significantly different body types and outfits - it is nice to be able to adjust.

Here is me with the camera that I used most for my wedding work, although the lens pictured was used more for closer portraits:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt King-DPC-Self3-47e-2011-05.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format

I think the most important thought for me on this issue is that a photographer needs to be able to choose the camera height that is most suitable for the circumstances.
    I completely agree. With a waist level finder you don't have to shoot at waist level and with a prism finder you can always drop to one knee or step on a stool. You can do the job with either waist level finder or prism finder. If you own both then choose which works easier for the situation.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here is me with the camera that I used most for my wedding work, although the lens pictured was used more for closer portraits:
    Hi Matt,
    Nice to meet you! The wedding guest won't mistake you for the uncle of the bride with this camera.

Bert from Holland
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bert_portretfoto_klein.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	474.3 KB 
ID:	74654
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah the RB is definately not a wedding camera so get that out of your head right now, no matter what you mount on it.

I made a nice living off my Omega Rapid.. range finders rule in dark wedding halls.

Bert you have the roll film back for that maximar?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I shoot mostly LF, and use MF (6x6) sometimes. I use the MF with both WLF and a prism - and for me, I tend to use the prism more when I am hand-holding the camera, and I appreciate the convenience of having the meter built in to the camera. Most of my shots though are on a tripod, where I don't use the built in meter, and am more likely to use the WLF.

All a matter of preference - and to your question of how do you get used to images being reversed - the answer is 'with time'. I actually find it to be an advantage to have the image reversed, as it allows me to think about composition more closely.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Yeah the RB is definately not a wedding camera so get that out of your head right now, no matter what you mount on it.

I made a nice living off my Omega Rapid.. range finders rule in dark wedding halls.

Bert you have the roll film back for that maximar?
    Hi Paul,
    Sorry for the very late reply. My camera is not a Maximar, but a Welta (German camera) from 1922. It has a Doppel Anastigmat Eurynar 1:3.5 f=13.5cm lens. It has a ground glass back (that can be removed) and some of the original sheet film holders (metal, one sided). It is in new condition and the shutters fires correctly at all speeds. I only need to replace the suede/velvet light seal on the back.

I do have a roll film back, but I'm not sure if it fits this camera. Never tried, but would be a nice addition to this camera.
    I'll try to match it: thanks for the idea!!
    Bert
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 10-05-2013 at 04:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin