Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,678   Online: 738

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rollei SL66E vs SL66SE film backs the same?

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of a Rollei SL66SE, after waiting a long time for one to become available at a palatable price. It will replace my much-loved SL66. I'd like to buy a second back for it. But I'm not sure if I specifically need an SE back, or if the E backs are the same.

Any SL66SE users out there who can clear this up?

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i DON'T KNOW, BUT I'D NOT Loose the SL66, they always seem to work. I recently got a SL66E to add to my SL66 and find myself using the old, trusty SL66 more than the 66E. I don't know. I just seem to fit better on the 66. But good luck with the SE. I know they are find goodies.
    Logan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an original SL66 and an SL66SE. My understanding is that there are three series of backs. I'm listing only the 6x6 ones but there are some 6x4.5 (horizontal) ones but i think they still only give 12 exposures per roll.

1. Original SL66 back. 120 or 220 according to a switch. Film loading operates by a feeler which is usually reliable but can be fooled by thin films and can need adjustment.

2. SL66E back. I don't know if there are separate versions for 120 and 220. Film loading by feeler as above. Film speed setting for meter.

3. SL66SE back. Separate versions for 120 and 220. Film loading by match the arrows, so immune to getting out of adjustment. Film speed setting for meter. Easily identified by having a fold-out winding handle instead of the pop-out rotating knob. I think this is the best, unless you need to use 220 film.

In the troubleshooting guide of the SL66SE manual, a cause of the meter not working is using a magazine other than a SL66SE/X magazine. It implies that the camera would work but without the meter. I don't know if the SL66X magazine is a different variant. It doesn't say that using an SL66E meter is a fault specifically, but it doesn't specify it as a solution to the meter not working.

In the troubleshooting guide of the SL66E manual, a cause of the meter not working is using a magazine other than an SL66E magazine. The SL66E was earlier than the SE, so no mention of the SE magazine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by whlogan View Post
    i DON'T KNOW, BUT I'D NOT Loose the SL66, they always seem to work. I recently got a SL66E to add to my SL66 and find myself using the old, trusty SL66 more than the 66E. I don't know. I just seem to fit better on the 66. But good luck with the SE. I know they are find goodies.
    Logan
    I tend to agree. Once a camera is on a tripod, the appeal of a built-in meter is not so great. I find it easier to use a handheld spotmeter than to move the camera (SL66SE) around to meter different parts of the subject. For handheld use, of course, the inbuilt meter is super.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    Once a camera is on a tripod, the appeal of a built-in meter is not so great. I find it easier to use a handheld spotmeter than to move the camera (SL66SE) around to meter different parts of the subject. For handheld use, of course, the inbuilt meter is super.
    Completely agree. I mostly use my SL66 handheld, so I'm looking forward to the built-in meter of the SE. I've tried the meter chimney finder, but it didn't suit my shooting style.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Film loading by match the arrows, so immune to getting out of adjustment.
    Thanks for the very detailed answer(s)!

I didn't realize they had done away with the film sensing. It was always one of my favorite features of the SL66 (and the 2.8F). Made reloading at weddings a lot faster, imho. I know it could be finicky with some films, but it always worked well for me.
    Last edited by Mike Evangelist; 09-18-2013 at 08:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ..........It doesn't say that using an SL66E meter is a fault specifically, but it doesn't specify it as a solution to the meter not working........
    I should have said in my post above:

It doesn't say that using an SL66E magazine is a fault specifically, but it doesn't specify it as a solution to the meter not working.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin