Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,840   Online: 789

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is the kind I use with good results on my RB-67. http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Remot...flash+triggers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    After reading this review, I'm very interested in trying the new Cactus V6 transcevers. They seem to be able to sync up to 1/1000s without HSS.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/strobi...7644142606469/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to own Cactus V5, they could sync up to 1/500 on my hasselblad. No mods or workarounds. Just connect PC cable to the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    I used to own Cactus V5, they could sync up to 1/500 on my hasselblad. No mods or workarounds. Just connect PC cable to the lens.
    What flashes/strobes do you use?

I like the V6 because I could also manually control power on my TTL flashes. So it's dual purpose.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    ... They seem to be able to sync up to 1/1000s without HSS...
    As I understand it, the flash synch is limited to whatever your camera can handle. If you're using an RB-67, your lens's fastest should be good, but use it with a focal plane curtain shutter, and you're likely to be limited to 1/30-1/250.

I've had great luck with the ones like I listed previously. Several folks make them, and they're cheap enough on Amazon. You can even get a set with 1 TX and 3 RX. They work with PC synch cables, so they're not brand specific.

I do, however, like the Cactus ones you listed as a possible upgrade for my digital work. I'm planning on getting the 568EX2, so they might be worth an extended look! Thanks for the link!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    As I understand it, the flash synch is limited to whatever your camera can handle. If you're using an RB-67, your lens's fastest should be good, but use it with a focal plane curtain shutter, and you're likely to be limited to 1/30-1/250.

I've had great luck with the ones like I listed previously. Several folks make them, and they're cheap enough on Amazon. You can even get a set with 1 TX and 3 RX. They work with PC synch cables, so they're not brand specific.

I do, however, like the Cactus ones you listed as a possible upgrade for my digital work. I'm planning on getting the 568EX2, so they might be worth an extended look! Thanks for the link!
    Correct. Low battery levels affect the sync speeds for wireless triggers so if it can sync up to 1/1000s when full, I would think that when battery levels are low, it will still be successful at syncing at 1/500s easily.

I've been having issues with my studio strobes (Fotodiox) where it is too fast or something because when I try to sync very fast (1/200s +) the result is underexposure. So I believe flashes/strobe duration do have a part in it.

I, too, think the V6 would be a great addition to my digital and 35mm shooting.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    Correct. Low battery levels affect the sync speeds for wireless triggers so if it can sync up to 1/1000s when full, I would think that when battery levels are low, it will still be successful at syncing at 1/500s easily.

I've been having issues with my studio strobes (Fotodiox) where it is too fast or something because when I try to sync very fast (1/200s +) the result is underexposure. So I believe flashes/strobe duration do have a part in it.

I, too, think the V6 would be a great addition to my digital and 35mm shooting.
    It's not just the flash duration or battery. With a focal plane curtain shutter, only part of the image is illuminated as the shutter travels across the image plane. With a leaf or diaphragm shutter, the whole image is exposed to the flash, which triggers when the shutter is generally fully open.

If you're using a focal plane shutter, the results of shooting faster than synch are dark bands at one end or side of the image where the flash was not exposed. The faster the shutter, the larger the band. Based on your 1/200 showing underexposed, I would guess a flash synch of 1/30 on a focal plane shutter. The RB-67 uses the leaf shutter, so synch is possible at all speeds the lens can accommodate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    It's not just the flash duration or battery. With a focal plane curtain shutter, only part of the image is illuminated as the shutter travels across the image plane. With a leaf or diaphragm shutter, the whole image is exposed to the flash, which triggers when the shutter is generally fully open.

If you're using a focal plane shutter, the results of shooting faster than synch are dark bands at one end or side of the image where the flash was not exposed. The faster the shutter, the larger the band. Based on your 1/200 showing underexposed, I would guess a flash synch of 1/30 on a focal plane shutter. The RB-67 uses the leaf shutter, so synch is possible at all speeds the lens can accommodate.
    Correct. Focal plane shutters usually have a max sync speed of 1/250s. I was testing my theory on a Nikon D700 which has has it's top speed at 1/250s. Also, my testing involved a Mamiya RZ67 with leaf lenses. In another thread here, I've posted some samples of my findings. But I think I might need to make a thread in the lighting section rather than the Medium Format one.

None the less, I think that flash duration has something to do with underexposure because if it's short and isn't at full power while the shutter is open, then wouldn't the light hitting the film/sensor not be at metered?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But some cheap triggers do not sync @1/500 with leaf shutters. Tested my Yongnuo rf-603 with my Rolleicord and you see the shutter not opening completely.

* rf-603 may need a mod to work with older cameras.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, the RF-60x series aren't rated that high.

My CTR-301Ps are rated for 1/500s. Also, I seem to be getting fast sync speeds with portable speedlights, just had issues with the Fotodiox strobes. I need to get my hands on other ones to try.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin