Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,929   Online: 1089

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A few months ago, I bit the bullet and bought a set of PocketWizard PlusX triggers. Not cheap, but ultimately a small price to pay for the peace of mind that comes from knowing you have one less thing to be worried about.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    But some cheap triggers do not sync @1/500 with leaf shutters. Tested my Yongnuo rf-603 with my Rolleicord and you see the shutter not opening completely.

* rf-603 may need a mod to work with older cameras.
    What is your flash synch set to? There are a couple sync modes. M which delays shutter opening for about 1/4 seconds to allow your flash to reach full output, and X, which is instantaneous. If you're using electronic flash you have to be in X mode, otherwise the shutter will allow no light from the flash into the camera. Looking at the manual for the Rolleicords began offering the X sync selector around 1955.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    A few months ago, I bit the bullet and bought a set of PocketWizard PlusX triggers. Not cheap, but ultimately a small price to pay for the peace of mind that comes from knowing you have one less thing to be worried about.
    Without a doubt! If I were pro, I would probably go with these. I've seen them in action and they are nice!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    ... flash duration has something to do with underexposure because if it's short and isn't at full power while the shutter is open, then wouldn't the light hitting the film/sensor not be at metered?
    I replied first to someone else about sync modes. Your statement is why older cameras were M mode sync, generally. If the mode is set to M, then electronic flash won't expose correctly, as it triggers the flash prior to the shutter even opening.

When metering flash, the shutter speed should be included in the calculation. Some meters allow you to set the shutter speed and then they provide the reading. With my Gossen, changing the shutter speed sometimes changes the aperture reading on the meter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RF-603s are known for being slow, so I can't blame the camera setup.

Yeah, I'd love the PW Xs too, because I can then get a plug in module for my light meter. So, if the V6s were actually more expensive, I'd really consider the PWs even more.

What model Gossen, I'd like to review that manual.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The RF-603s are known for being slow, so I can't blame the camera setup.

Yeah, I'd love the PW Xs too, because I can then get a plug in module for my light meter. So, if the V6s were actually more expensive, I'd really consider the PWs even more.

What model Gossen, I'd like to review that manual.
    The Starlite 2. It does spot, reflected, incident, flash, zone system, and other stuff. I like that I can get the luminance values either from the exposure formula, or from a quick calculation based on the illuminance. The exposure formula is definitely quicker!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    The Starlite 2. It does spot, reflected, incident, flash, zone system, and other stuff. I like that I can get the luminance values either from the exposure formula, or from a quick calculation based on the illuminance. The exposure formula is definitely quicker!
    *Searches for this flash... sees price... just blinks*. haha

So, what exactly am I looking for when looking for the feature to compensate based on shutter speeds?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    *Searches for this flash... sees price... just blinks*. haha
    So, what exactly am I looking for when looking for the feature to compensate based on shutter speeds?

The price was steep. I thought maybe too steep, but where I'm trying to get everything right now, it was an important step for me. Given that I was blessed with a rare bit of extra to splurge, it was the right time! My photography has improved, because my results are repeatable now, and my visualizing things can be more accurately made concrete.

On page 23 and 24 of the manual it explains it a bit. Basically read your scene without a flash, and enter that time into your meter when you switch to flash mode. Once you meter the flash, your exposure will be what you want. It'll even give you an indication of the exposure on the non-flashed part of the scene with a solid tick by the f-stop for incident exposure and a flashing tick for the flash exposure to get your ratios. You can also work the other way. Get your flash reading, then set that f/stop into the reflected metering, and take a reading. That will give you the correct exposure for both.

Just reading the flash may not be enough for some tricky lighting situations. I often run into those when I'm shooting my wife and her friends with the digital, and not so much with film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My camera was set to X. @1/500 they are slow.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    My camera was set to X. @1/500 they are slow.
    I haven't shot that fast, so I can't really say. I would think it wouldn't be a problem, but I use different ones. My fastest speed 1/400 and they work good for what I do with them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin