Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,776   Posts: 1,516,687   Online: 1201

Shooter
    Multi Format

Does the SL66 Prism finder require separate Diopter inserts?

I understand the Magnifier Hood essentially addresses this with the variable magnifier eyepiece, and I think the Waist Level Finder needs independent diopters to match each persons particular eyes. So does the Prism finder have an adjustable diopter built in or does one need to locate and install the individual diopters to see the image clearly?

Thanks for your time.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I need a diopter to correct my mild short sight with most cameras (-1.5 is best if available, e.g. Leica, otherwise -1). At my age (66) my focus range is small making the diopter choice critical, whereas in the past my eye's accommodation was sufficient to cover some small mismatch. If find the standard flip out magnifier on the SL66 waist level finder quite ok, but the standard prism finder is not clear unless I wear my specs, or use my left eye which is closer to normal.

The problem with the prism finder is that the screw-out glass is a quite strong positive magnifier so that normal sight can see the ground glass screen which is only a few inches away. I think its focal length is something like 100mm making it +10 diopter (check this if you need accuracy!). So the glass you need is this value plus or minus whatever you need for correction. The tricky part is that although the glass can be removed from the metal threaded mount, it is very thin at the edge so any replacement glass has to be equally thin in order to fit. I have bought some cheap positive lens elements but they have been far too thick. The original is plano-convex.

There used to be alternative eyepiece glass available from Rollei but I haven't ever seen them for sale. But I do have one that fits the WLF and Rolleiflex GX WLF because I bought a GX and it came with an eyepiece so strong that I couldn't get anywhere near seeing clearly with or without specs. The correction must have been about 6 diopters. The vendor eventually found a standard one for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hmm...

So I guess I need to choose between reversed view without glasses or possibly clear correct view with glasses, if I understand you correctly.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin