Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,226   Online: 910

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Which viewing screen to use with Hasselblad PME finder?

I recently bought a beautiful Hasselblad kit with a PME (metered) finder. It came with an older split image screen. My other Hasselblad has the Acute-Matte screen, which is clearly brighter. Although I have not tested the difference in metering between the screens, I am sure there will be a different in readings.

Which screen is best to use with the PME finder and should one do an exposure test using a grey card?

Many thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try the finder on both cameras to see if there is a difference and how much it is. Then check with a hand held meter. If all three agree you are set. When testing with a gray card be sure it fills the entire frame. If the brighter screen matches the hand held meter and the other is off enough to make a difference you have your answer but if it matches the less bright and you have been using the hand held meter for the other camera to begin with, stick with the split image if you intend to meter with the PME on the newly purchased one.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I prefer the Acute Matte D screen. Large, unobstructed view.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After some searching I installed the Acute Matte D in my 503CW a couple of years ago. I have the PME51 on mine and that combination is about a half stop under compared to my Minolta M spot meter.
    For critical work, best to run a test.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Acute Matte D in my 503CX with the PME. It will be brighter than the older screen. Just check the light readings under several conditions with each screen to see if the PME needs to be adjusted. My PME did not need to be adjusted.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The older PME prisms were intended to be used with the older screens. PME3 and later should be used with the Acutte matte screens. The official change involved resiting the cell for best performance and recalibration but an acceptable result should be possible by calculation or adjustment of the controls.

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Shooter
    Large Format
    Note that Hasselblad states that split image screens work satisfactorily in the f2-4 range only. Some where I also read that the spot meter function is suspect with the split image screen
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin