Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,485   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

ETRS Waist level finders

I recently acquired a Bronica ETRS. I am puzzled as to the seemingly elevated cost for the Waist-level finders for these cameras. The WLFs are more expensive than the prism finders, which seems rather odd to me. Anyone more knowledgable care to share some insight?
    --
    Rolleicord V, Bronica ETRS, Pentax KM, Minolta XG-M, Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35, Ansco Buster Brown No.3
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/51479229@N04/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both an ETRS and ETR-Si, neither came with a WLF. If you ever find a deal on them, I'll take one

My understanding for why they are so expensive is that there are very few left. The ETR series was hugely popular with the wedding photograhper crowd, and they primarily used the AE prisms. So, they'd buy the prism, and then throw away the WLF thinking they'd never use it. I purchased my ETRS from a retired wedding photographer and when I asked if it had the WLF he laughed at me. It wasn't a mean laugh, more of a "why would anyone want that?"

As younger people pick up Bronicas, more and more of us want to do things other than (just) shoot portraits, and the WLF is once again popular, so supply and demand says they are expensive.

Seriously though, if anyone has one they want to get ride of for $40 let me know

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I paid around £45 for mine (from a camera shop) which was on the steep side, but still cheaper than the prices people were asking on Ebay. Just had a quick look on ebay and they seem to be around the £70 mark, for what it actually is, this is ridiculously expensive but probably is down to supply.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, it's a simple supply and demand issue. I try to find kits with WLF so it usually keeps the price down compared to the WLF by itself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Makes sense, thanks. I am fine shooting landscapes with the prism, the WLF is more of a "nice to have" for me. Certainly after some lenses, at least.
    --
    Rolleicord V, Bronica ETRS, Pentax KM, Minolta XG-M, Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35, Ansco Buster Brown No.3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My pair (ETRS and ETRSi) both had the WLF in the kit. I find I use the prism only for portrait sessions, WLF for everything else. Having one less mirror/prism in the way makes the viewfinder nice and bright, and the pop-up loupe is perfect for focusing with my tired eyes

I can't imagine have a Bronica without the WLF. Shame they got tossed/lost/expensive.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think I paid about $50 for mine. I prefer using the WLF and crank to the prism and grip whenever I dont plan on portait orientation. The view of the ground glass with both eyes open seems more 3d and makes composition easier. The kit is so much lighter too. I sometimes wonder if I should have bought an SQ instead so as to make a WLF more practical, but I tend to more naturally see compositions in a 4:3 ratio, so its etrs for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They were always an extra-cost accessory for the Mamiya 645s - due no doubt to the difficulty in using them with "portrait" orientation.

Were they ever automatically included with the ETRs or ETRSi?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Could have used it today! Infants are low to the ground...
    --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bronica is punishing everyone for losing it so they make em expensive just like the little cranks.

That'll teach ya!

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin