Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,374   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: swirly rb67

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    what do people normally do for a shutter when mounting a petzval on a view camera?
    A lot of people use Packard shutters or a hat or lens cap. Sinar shutters are great but they are expensive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Google Jim Galli shutter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    so could I use a packard or sinar shutter with a petzval on a crown graphic?

Shooter
    Large Format
    so could I use a packard or sinar shutter with a petzval on a crown graphic?
    The Sinar shutter is much too large. I have no experience with Packard shutters but I would say no on that one too. You can buy old Speed Graphic cameras pretty cheap as long as you don't want a mint one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay thanks alan. maybe I will have to try the Jim Galli method!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    if I did go the modification route I don't suppose anyone knows if there is a particular RB lens that would be best for stripping the elements and sticking a petzval in?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Speed Graphic as mentioned is a fairly cheap way to go, also Rolleis and focal plane Hasselblads have been used with barrel lenses. A graflex SLR could work too with some of these lenses, if the barrel wasn't too big and the focal length was right. Check out SK Grimes website.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Putting a Petzval design lens on almost any camera is possible, it's just a matter of solving the problems you have noted–shutter and mount. Graphics and monorail cameras are easy, since the lens boards are pretty adaptable. Cheap alternatives to fancy brass lenses from the 19th century include lenses from magic lantern projectors, 35mm film projectors, opaque projectors, etc. Or see if you can find one of these, a lens from a multiple image camera. didn't know what they were when I posted that. They were meant to take many very small images on a single plate and mount screw-end toward the subject, not toward the film. Another source for lenses, my current favorite for soft portraits, is the objective lens from a set of binoculars, but it's not that swirly. Hot glue has been my friend in many, many modifications–it's quick, holds pretty well and is removable. I haven't tried an rb67, but I've done a few Baby Speeds shooting roll film–certainly the easiest since the shutter is not a problem. I just (today) finished an RB Graphlex Model B 3 x 4 with a custom back for Fuji instant film so I could shoot without having to focus, load and then shoot. The depth of field is really, really shallow with these lenses at portrait distances. The swirlies just begin to show up at the edges with the lenses I have.

One of the issues that becomes important if you want to use film and something like a lens cap or hat to time your exposure is that the Petzval design is a fast lens. Most I have used hover around f4 to f5.6, making exposures that need to be quicker than what you can accomplish with a lens cap, unless you shoot in low light. Even a Packard, topping out at a blisteringly fast 1/20 of a second makes daylight shooting with film difficult. Remember, stopping the lens down with a Waterhouse stop (or the equivalent) will greatly reduce the swirlies you seek in the first place. One way around this is to shoot slow ortho film or paper.

Have fun!

Shooter
    Large Format
    okay thanks alan. maybe I will have to try the Jim Galli method!
    Buy a Petzval and try it out on the Crown with some b&w film. If you don't like it you can always sell the lens for around what you paid for it. If you really get into Petzvals and other barrel lenses then research your options and add another camera if you want.

Beware though that all Petzvals don't have the same amount of "swirl". Do your research before buying. You might want to post a question on which Petzval to buy on this forum. There are some experts on old lenses here (not me ).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post

One of the issues that becomes important if you want to use film and something like a lens cap or hat to time your exposure is that the Petzval design is a fast lens. Most I have used hover around f4 to f5.6, making exposures that need to be quicker than what you can accomplish with a lens cap, unless you shoot in low light. Even a Packard, topping out at a blisteringly fast 1/20 of a second makes daylight shooting with film difficult. Remember, stopping the lens down with a Waterhouse stop (or the equivalent) will greatly reduce the swirlies you seek in the first place. One way around this is to shoot slow ortho film or paper.

Have fun!
    You bring up some good points.

Have you tried Neutral Density filters?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin