Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,364   Online: 1066

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: swirly rb67

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want to shoot roll film behind a Petzval lens, then the thing to do would be either get a medium-format SLR with a focal-plane shutter (Hasselblad 2000 series, Rolleiflex SL/SLX/600x series, Pentax 67, Kiev for a few examples) or get a 4x5 and use a roll-film back for it. You CAN use a Petzval with no mechanical shutter if you want - you'll just need to use either excruciatingly slow emulsions or get really good at using a lens cap/hat/darkslide as a shutter. Traditionally Petzval lenses didn't need shutters because they were being used with wet plate or later dry plate emulsions, which had a rough equivalent of ISO 0.5 to ISO 4. You don't HAVE to get all fancy with machining - I've seen someone take a body cap for a camera, drill a hole in it, glue a piece of appropriate-sized PVC to the cap, and then insert the barrel of the Petzval lens into it. You focused it via friction, much the way the lenses were originally used. I've even seen one with a bag-like "bellows" made of duct tape for focusing that allowed some (rather imprecise) degree of perspective control.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay thanks guys - if I can figure out the mounting I could always keep a dedicated RB back for Rollei Pan 25 or something and use longer exposure times - even hold an ND filter over it if necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    if I did go the modification route I don't suppose anyone knows if there is a particular RB lens that would be best for stripping the elements and sticking a petzval in?
    Yes, I've done this with a 65mm lens with bad glass but a good shutter ($23 out of B&H !) except I use the now lensless barrel for experimenting with meniscus lenses rather than petzvals. I chose the 65mm lens because I wanted the shutter to be close to the camera body to give me more versatility in choosing experimental focal lengths.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay great, thanks Maris! Maybe I'll start a petzval thread too to find out what I need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    You bring up some good points.

Have you tried Neutral Density filters?
    Fitting filters of any kind is a challenge when using old or cadged-together lenses. It's possible, but the size needed and the mounting difficulties have led me to work around the question by using very slow media, like paper negs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Fitting filters of any kind is a challenge when using old or cadged-together lenses. It's possible, but the size needed and the mounting difficulties have led me to work around the question by using very slow media, like paper negs.
    Yeah, some old lenses have weird size threads. Sometimes you can get a step-up ring close enough to fit a little tight and just leave it on or you can tape a filter onto the lens. Like you say, it can be a hassle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was just planning to hold an ND filter in front of the lens, assuming it will be significantly larger in diameter than the lens barrel.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    I was just planning to hold an ND filter in front of the lens, assuming it will be significantly larger in diameter than the lens barrel.
    That can work too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Load very insensitive film (maybe micro- or lithfilm) and use a hat as shutter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin