Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,876   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: swirly rb67

Shooter
    Medium Format

swirly rb67

Hello everyone,

I would love to get swirly petzval-like effects with portraits on my rb67. Is there any way to do this? I don't know much about petzvals but I assume that the swirling occurs at the extremes of the lens coverage on a 4x5, so would shooting it on 6x7 would mean that the swirly bits won't be captured on the negative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old petzvals have been adapted to SLRs before, but I believe this involves a goodly amount of custom machining. If that's not for you and you're okay with shooting 35mm instead, Lomography has started producing petzval lenses for Nikon and Canon.

Attachment 74718

Brass barrels and all!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks eyesage - I probably would have been interested in that if the funding campaign was still on and I could have had one for the $300 or $350 price. I assume they will cost significantly more than that once they are released.

I can't justify getting into custom machining a lens mount so I guess I am out of luck for the RB, eh? I was hoping someone had done it already.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On an RB67, what would you do for a shutter?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    well that would be one of my questions. Perhaps someone has figured out how to attach a petzval to the parts from an RB lens (the mount and leaf shutter mechanism), or perhaps a way to attach a LF lens board to an RB? This kind of thing? http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...-shutters.html

Anyway I guess it would probably be a crazy amount of work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have seen 4x5 monorails go for as low as $50.00 without a lens. Used 4x5 film holders sell for around $5.00 a piece. It's nice to have five so you can load a box of film. If you don't have a darkroom you can use a changing bag to load them. An old black T-shirt or sweat shirt works great for a dark cloth. You will want a cheap 4x loupe. You probably own a light meter.

If you don't like sheet film you can use a 6x7 roll film back on the monorail.

Add your Petzval lens and away you go!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    can you put a petzval on a crown graphic? I know almost nothing about LF cameras, but I do have access to a crown graphic, with 4x5 and 6x7 roll film holders.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    can you put a petzval on a crown graphic? I know almost nothing about LF cameras, but I do have access to a crown graphic, with 4x5 and 6x7 roll film holders.
    I have heard of people using Petzvals on Speed Graphics. The advantage of the Speed over the Crown is that the Speed Graphics have a focal plane shutter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    what do people normally do for a shutter when mounting a petzval on a view camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Re: mounting on an RB, Possible to get ahold of a lens with bad glass and mount a petzval on it?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin