Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,033   Online: 732

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    Last 2 posts here showing me that you are in 80's or 90's, barely i can say 70's.

I am not even in 40's, so should i look at antique analogue things for my life?

And should i use my first mobile which is not working at today's networks? Even my old telephone that using dial for numbers it won't work.
    I do not use only old things. I traded in my ex for a newer model with low mileage.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hahaha this is fun..

so my doctor asks me to bend over so she can do a digital..
    I ask, what's that Doc?....
    she says a finger up your ass....
    NO FRIKIN WAY!.. I'd rather you gave me an analog finger to my face!

hahahahahaa

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last 2 posts here showing me that you are in 80's or 90's, barely i can say 70's.
    And should i use my first mobile which is not working at today's networks? Even my old telephone that using dial for numbers it won't work.
    Considering the abundance of processed food, perhaps home-cooking seems antique to someone so "young"
    Something being new, easier, more convenient, or cheaper to produce does not mean better (or worse). It simply means it is new, easier, more convenient, or cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by mauro35 View Post
    ...I feel somehow "normal" because when I press the gas pedal my analog foot (not coded in 0 and 1) gets an analog response.
    My foot is analog - all the way up or down, not much in between
    I've a newer car with computer controlled ignition. When I step on the gas, the car has to think for a bit before accelerating, which I hate. How can anyone consider that acceptable? How is it acceptable that modern cars can "forget" where top-dead-center is (when the crank position sensor dies)? This is something perfected at least as early as the Model T.
    I'm leaning toward a '71 Buick Boattail as my next car; more robust, and what does break I can fix myself, cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Certainly not using Windows! I use Linux which would be cheap at half the price.
    Actually, looking at the statistics from my web site, only a minority of analogue camera users seem to use Windows.
    Debian user here. I work in IT so have to fix windows. When I have to script something in windows, I try to use DOS when possible - sort of like the least common denominator. Like my car comment above, it is more robust. If a machine has a problem running a DOS script, there are serious problems in general; the same isn't always true or obvious if other methods fail.

Hmm... considering all the DOS calls in even the most recent version of windows, wouldn't it be considered antique? (Forget the fact that windows users are thrilled with "new" "ground-breaking" features that they never knew had existed in other OSes at least a decade sooner.)
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyway, let's not go off topic much, i am happy to be here and one day i will shoot film more than enough then i will share much here, and happy to be here.

Shooter
    Multi Format

My newest camera in regular use was made in 1971. I use a watch made the year the Titanic sank, I take pictures with lenses that are older than that. I do not own a cell phone. I have not had television since 1988 or 89. My telephone, which is connected to a copper landline, dates from the late 1960s, it has a rotary dial and a melodious bell.Most of my electronics have vacuum tubes. I use cast iron and steel cookware, no teflon, no aluminium. I grind fresh coffee every morning (the night before if I have stay-over company).
    Why?
    Because I like simple technology that I can maintain and repair, won't make me ill, yields very high quality results, never breaks down, and doesn't depend any more than neccesary on a "network". I haven't had anything break and need to be replaced in well over 20 years.
    I am 52.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep this on the shelf right next to my Internet network bridge and wireless router, just to remind me that everyone who came before Steve Jobs and Bill Gates was not as utterly stupid as the tech marketers of today desperately want us to believe.

And yes, it still works just fine, thank you very much...

(There was a time I could hack out ~5 wpm using the ORIGINAL digital codec, but that was a long time ago.)

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    My newest camera in regular use was made in 1971. I use a watch made the year the Titanic sank, I take pictures with lenses that are older than that. I do not own a cell phone. I have not had television since 1988 or 89. My telephone, which is connected to a copper landline, dates from the late 1960s, it has a rotary dial and a melodious bell.Most of my electronics have vacuum tubes. I use cast iron and steel cookware, no teflon, no aluminium. I grind fresh coffee every morning (the night before if I have stay-over company).
    Why?
    Because I like simple technology that I can maintain and repair, won't make me ill, yields very high quality results, never breaks down, and doesn't depend any more than neccesary on a "network". I haven't had anything break and need to be replaced in well over 20 years.
    I am 52.
    Ok, let me put it this way, i live in a different country, different culture, different services and laws and government, photography with old gear is not something many or even some doing it here, out old phones with old network services are out of work or as you say out of service and not useful at all to even call the emergency.

I am not against old or analogue, but dying with it and not using new things is not something all people in the world must do, i started film but didn't use it much after digital, i will never say i hate film, i liked the joy of developing and even printing if i do that, but this will not make me to give up all new and nice technology i can use nowadays, if you don't need or care about this new technologies at least others care, but in all generations mostly young people think or have fun different than older people, i am different behaving than my dad who died almost 3 years ago, also no need to compare film with everything old/antique, something are still available and in service and some aren't, in my country i can't get film larger than 35mm and i must order it always online which is also a pain in....., in my case or situations, doing only film will not take me anywhere far, i do it for joy but i will not keep using film only and give up digital.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You're not missing anything without a TV. What absolute drivel. I keep mine to watch The Fugitive, The Naked City, and Peter Gunn--shows that came on past my bedtime when they were new, hence I had never seen before. Outside of that, network TV is hopeless. Wreaks of partisan slant and depicts a culture that has reached the bottom. You're best without one. You're better off doing your photography.

BTW--here is a link to a station that runs old time radio programs all day. I just now poured a fresh set of darkroom trays, and am getting ready to do darkroom while listening to Amos and Andy. And Kingfish.
    http://alltimeoldies.com/streams/theater.asx
    Last edited by Tom1956; 09-27-2013 at 07:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    You're not missing anything without a TV. What absolute drivel.
    Yikers...that goes a little too far for me. I know you go on to mention "network" TV, so maybe this isn't applicable, but Breaking Bad, Homeland, The Wire, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, etc. - all classics in my book. If anything, I think we are in the golden age of television. Hollywood is so risk-averse and knows that "Fast and Furious 17" will make money so they are never going to change their formula. TV, on the other hand, can cost less, is less of a commitment, and with literally 1000's of channels, has more competition. I think the better television channels are reaching out to do the things that Hollywood won't risk and that network TV simply can't (which is why, given your comment about "network tv", we might just be in violent agreement here).

Plus, DVR is maybe the single greatest development in TV. Instead of simply sitting around and flipping from channel to channel looking for something to watch while my show comes on, I simply record it and watch it when I want. My wife and I watch WAY less TV than we ever have because we only watch the things we want without having to wade through the drek.

Seriously, you can sleep these days without wondering what happens to Walt and Jesse in the final episode? I am bouncing off the walls and will be until 6pm PT on Sunday...
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm on the edge of my seat waiting on the last episode of The Fugitive, which should be coming up one of these next Sunday nights soon. I want to see if Dr. Kimble finally catches the one-armed man, so he can finally stop running.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin