Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,054   Online: 978

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

APUG is a really nice group of photographers

I recently returned to the medium format world by buying an RB67. I have had to ask several questions to refresh my memory as to its use. Without exception the replies have all been helpful and courteous. It reminds me of Nikonians where I am an active member. By contrast there are other websites such as photo.net where the responses can get downright nasty. There was one I saw recently where someone was asking about the image quality of two lenses that he owned. One of the first responses was, "Then why don't you try it out for yourself?"

Anyway, thanks to this group for your help.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Graham, I also have a RB 67 which I like very much. APUG is a good place to be!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Absolutely one of the friendliest and most responsive group of people on the internet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some sharp people here for sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I totally agree!

I have come to APUG seeking help many many times and the responses are always great. I consider this site a treasure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Martin View Post
    .... By contrast there are other websites such as photo.net where the responses can get downright nasty. There was one I saw recently where someone was asking about the image quality of two lenses that he owned. One of the first responses was, "Then why don't you try it out for yourself?"
    That response may not be as nasty as it might seem. Perhaps hasty and a bit premature. Nasty usually involves denigrating insult. Literally the poster was suggesting that the only real way to understand the nature of your tools is to use them and analyze the results for yourself. At the very beginning stages of photography that response may be less appropriate but if you are no longer a beginner but haven't jumped the fence into serious evaluation and use of your gear the response seems very appropriate. Ultimately your tools must please you the photographer.

All that aside I completely concur with you.
    We have all passed the big digital bias phase that used to generate a whole lot of heated arguments 5-10 years ago.

Film is here to stay and that makes people happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Martin View Post
    I recently returned to the medium format world by buying an RB67. I have had to ask several questions to refresh my memory as to its use. Without exception the replies have all been helpful and courteous. It reminds me of Nikonians where I am an active member. By contrast there are other websites such as photo.net where the responses can get downright nasty. There was one I saw recently where someone was asking about the image quality of two lenses that he owned. One of the first responses was, "Then why don't you try it out for yourself?"

Anyway, thanks to this group for your help.
    Actually that's excellent advice. Blunt perhaps. But at the end of the day, you can read all you want about image quality from a given make and model of lens - you won't know what your example does untill you make pictures with it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Generally I google search the questions I want answered, or to answer. So I have a username on several of them. As far as Photo.net--it's fairly good I suppose. But they mix up digital people with normal people. And I'm no more interested in digital than I am in golf, going to the dentist, or having the 24 hour virus.
    So when I do a search engine query, and the results pop up, I generally pick this one.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    As far as Photo.net--it's fairly good I suppose. But they mix up digital people with normal people.
    Love this.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    But they mix up digital people with normal people.
    That's funny!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin