Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,586   Online: 849

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the F models are sexy. If sexy makes you a better photographer than it's a better camera, but that's the only reason.

That and a thousand dollars more to buy one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My little Automat with the 3.5 Tessar is as sexy as I can afford. Fortunately it takes pretty decent pictures even without a built-in meter or a 2.8 max aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    My little Automat with the 3.5 Tessar is as sexy as I can afford. Fortunately it takes pretty decent pictures even without a built-in meter or a 2.8 max aperture.
    The Automats with the Tessar are sweet little cameras. I've shot with a 2.8E with a 80mm ƒ2.8 Xenotar, a Rolleicord Vb with a 75mm ƒ3.5 Xenar and a 1954 Rolleiflex "MX-EVS", which I believe is the one of the last of the Automat series. I like the Automat with the Tessar the best. The 2.8E and the Rolleicord have great lenses, but there's something really special about my Automat and its Tessar.

I'm saving up the money to send the old girl off to Harry Fleenor for her 60th birthday next year. After she comes back, I'll probably sell the 2.8E and the Rolleicord since the Automat and my Minolta Autocords fill all my needs as far as TLRs are concerned.
    Last edited by Zathras; 09-25-2013 at 10:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine is exactly the same model, built the year I was born. Harry worked his magic on mine about a year ago. You will be amazed when yours gets back. I fell in love all over again. I still have a hard time believing that the Tessar can be that sharp! IMHO that lens is certainly not a limiting factor at all with my photography.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    bibowj,

You got your answers, the camera should be worth all you gave up to get it.

I was going to say... If you think you can pick the photos out of a lineup... Then put some of yours up.

You will quickly know if you really CAN pick them out of a lineup, or if you really can't tell the difference...

Whichever is fact - you will learn something about yourself.

(Don't ask me how I know - it has nothing to do with Rollei but everything to do with perception).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    But it is linked to the exposure settings, right? In my mind that's the definition of a "coupled" meter. I'm just going on specs, though---my 'flex is well before the built-in meters came in.

-NT
    After doing a little research, you are correct. Changing aperture or shutter speed will move the second pointer on the meter dial. On the E, you set the ASA, turn a dial until the meter indicator arms line up, then read an EV number of sorts (not sure if they're a Rollei invention or if they match standard EV numbers), then transfer that to the shutter/aperture settings. And you have to select the high or low range for the meter. The F's meter is far more sophisticated. I got confused because the meter housing on the focusing knob looks the same on the E and the F. On the GX and later models, they moved the meter reading inside the viewing hood and off of the focusing knob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Love talking about Rollei's.. I know what you mean about gorgous depth of field attributes. It's awesome when you can shoot something ordinary and make look like piece of art work. agian .. I'm privilaged to own two Rollei's the Tesser 3.5f and the 3.5f. Got them both worked over by Harry last year. They are the most perfect camera IMHO. Super hight quality, compact design and just a little dynmo of camera. Love it!! A year or so ago, I was looking on line at images, and every single time one I saw an awesome image it was shot with a Rolleiflex TLR. I was hooked.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still have the 'cord that was my first real camera (I had a 110 p&s as a little kid), and it still measures up. I shoot the 'flex more, but every so often there are subjects or lighting conditions that are just *right* for that lens, where a Planar would be too clinical. In some respects I actually like its "user interface" better than the Rolleiflex---levers for the shutter controls, instead of the fiddly little push-to-unlock dials, for instance.

All the meters before the FX/GX are selenium, right? I'd be nervous about trusting a selenium meter of that age; I have a couple that work, but they're the exceptions by all accounts.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Rollei Magics were automatic, so coupled meters atking to the logical conclusion.

Like others I enjoy using my Rollei's and have a 3.5E Xenotar in mint condition, & I picked up a good Automat (Opton Tessar) at a flea market a few months ago - cheap because it was missing it's focus dioptre, two arrived from Japan 3 days ago (postage was 6x more than they cost ).

I don't know what is is that makes TLR's such fun to use I thought I'd grown out of them after having my Mamiyas stolen in the early 1980.s now I find I'm using them quite differently and love the square format which I'm using alongside 5x4/10x8 and 617 in my current exhibition sets.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    About the only thing magical about the RolleiMagic these days is their ability to become non-functional bricks. Because of the way they coupled the meter, and the nature of the meter itself, now, if the meter goes kaput (which happens far too frequently) you have an unusable (and unrepairable) camera. About the only thing they might be good for is cannibalizing parts to fix other non-metered Rolleis, and even then that's a crap shoot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin