Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,234   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rolleiflex quality question

\

Hello all- today I finally was able to buy my first Rolleiflex. I have been coveting this camera for years but could never quite afford it... Which isn't exactly true because I've bought other cameras that are far more expensive but I just couldn't risk it with TLR. I bought a 2.8E Plannar from KEH in BGN condition which showed up in what I would call near Mint... and Im smitten...but I have a question.

Rolleiflex 2.8Fs are upward $2k USD ... and it seems when I do a Flickr search, THIS is the camera everyone has. I ADORE the the look of the lens..and I can pick a shot done by this camera out of line up nearly every time ..theres just something magical about the DOF, and contrast..I dont understand it but I do know that I love it.

So I bought a 2.8E and its perfect, but is there any difference in the images froma clean 2.8E verses a 2.8F? I dont care about anything else but the look.. are both plannars created equal?

Thanks everyone!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's the same lens, so no difference in IQ. Excellent lens in my opinion, but so is the Xenotar. I think there was a 6 element 3.5 version, but to my understanding, that may have given just a little bit better performance wide open. I prefer your E camera to the F because it's lighter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same lenses, same shutter. I think the big thing about the F is that the meter is coupled; there are some other mechanical enhancements (or "bells and whistles" if they're things you don't care about, I suppose), but the optics are AFAIK identical.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, they are very similar. The F allows you to use a prism, but so do some E's (E2 and E3, I think). Well, I don't care for a prism or a meter and so the F has no advantages for me.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You have a beautiful classic camera of superb quality. Just enjoy.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here's a picture for you. Guess who's who.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VictorHasselblad_ReinholdHeidecke.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Here's a picture for you. Guess who's who.
    They both have nice cameras, but I don't know. Who are they?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The F's meter is not coupled - no Rolleiflex ever had a coupled meter (at least not in the sense that it would give you exposure automation). But the meter in the F is an improved design over the meter in the E. The F also has interchangeable viewing hoods, so you can use a prism on the camera if you want. Later model E's (the E3, and I think MAYBE the E2) also have this option, but they still have the older style meter (which is highly likely to be dead by now). I have a pair of 2.8 E Planar bodies, and I love them to death. On one the meter is marginal (it's good for confirming sunny 16, but you can figure out exposure under those circumstances anyway!), and the other one it's completely kaput. To the best of my knowledge, the lenses and shutters are identical, though. There MAY have been an improvement in the coatings, but not that I'm aware of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    They both have nice cameras, but I don't know. Who are they?
    Mouse over the image.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Mouse over the image.
    I did with no response.

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin