Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,301   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has the film been x-rayed?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    I repeat, this is not fogging.
    Bit emphatic if it reaches the edge of the film then the problem is not through the film gate between the feed spool and the gate or between the gate and the take up spool or loading onto dev tank.

So load the film onto the take up spool as normal but don't close back instead zip the film and camera into a changing bag with a pencil.

You then need to wind on the film until you are sure you have got past frame 1 in the dark then mark the left edge of the frame and the right edge of the frame on the backing paper and close the back.

Remove the camera from the bag leave it outside for a minute or two put it back I bag and wind on several frames mark with pencil as before. Remove from bag take a shot put back in bag wind to end remove camera from bag unload film and soup as normal keep backing paper to align backing paper with negative strip.

If you have no fogging then it may be a artifice of winding on.

If you have fogging then it should be easy to identify were it is occurring in the camera by aligning the exposed frame and the paper and the camera.

You don't have to do this exactly you can vary it the pencil marks and a single exposed frame are the key. But make notes of what you intend to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i'm emphatic because this can not be fogging. At least, not fogging through his camera or film holder.

Look, there's a whole picture on the piece of film. I presume the rest of the roll has finished pictures as well, all with this VERY evenly spaced banding of over- and under-exposure, the banding reaching to the edge of the film.

You're right, it didn't come through the film gate from the lens, but how could it have come through winding the film? Do you, does anyone, wind a frame of film 10-evenly spaced distances for each frame?

So, by elimination of the impossible, the only thing left (thanks sherlock holmes) however seemingly improbably must be the answer. The bands were on the film before he shot it, or occurred during processing, not exposure.

I keep saying -- shoot another roll, see what happens.
    Last edited by summicron1; 10-03-2013 at 12:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Has the film been x-rayed?
    Not to my knowedge, other films from this same batch I've used have not exhibited the same problem.

The roll was processed along with another from a TLR in 1:100 Rodinal for over an hour without any problems (other than an instance of double exposure, and evidence the slow speeds are off below 1/60th intermitantly).

Still foxed by the cause, but I'll be putting another roll through it, and the other back, that was delivered today as hopefully the chances of two backs having the exact same problem are relativley low. . .

Any suggestions on the best supplier for repair parts and velvet light-trap material - I received a sheet of light-trap felt and in this case for the potential repair work that may be needed, I'm a little dubious. . .

Shooter
    35mm
    I take it that as you have referred to another poster in the U.K. as being on the "right island" and asked for a repairer that you too are U.K. based. If so then I can think of two good repairers, neither of whom will be cheap.

Newton and Ellis in Liverpool and Ed Trzoska in Leicester or Leicestershire. I don't have their website links but google both names and you can at least speak to them.

There are others. Google will no doubt give you previous threads from APUG as well. It usually throws the kitchen sink at you when you google

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is some combination of a winding problem and a light leak - I would run a roll through the holder with all shots taken with a lens cap on. See if you see "waves" of fogging.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I take it that as you have referred to another poster in the U.K. as being on the "right island" and asked for a repairer that you too are U.K. based. If so then I can think of two good repairers, neither of whom will be cheap.
    Spot on - one of my issues about sending gear abroad is with the kidnap and ransom of gear on its return for VAT, import and handling charges. . . Its been suggested elsewhere I send it to Plaubel over in Germany but at a figure of near the £200 mark that's more than I'd paid for it. . . Anyone else miss the days when it was £2.50 or less for 120 film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    presume the rest of the roll has finished pictures as well, all with this VERY evenly spaced banding of over- and under-exposure, the banding reaching to the edge of the film.

You're right, it didn't come through the film gate from the lens, but how could it have come through winding the film? Do you, does anyone, wind a frame of film 10-evenly spaced distances for each frame?
    But they are not evenly spaced I've put a venier caliper on my phone display, this means e.g. it might be leakage due to operating the wind on knob in small steps or variations of side force on knob.

On my phone it looks more like fogging even the variation in density...

Can you look again please.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So rather surprisingly, the newer back arrived from France (Posted Saturday and arrived Thursday. . . while Royal Mail takes the same time to deliver a small packet from 60 miles away . . . ) It should help diagnose the problem - if it works, and the older one still produces problems, then I Know its the back. If the new one produces similar, then it's somewhere where the on the body where it meets the back. I'll keep you posted, just building an order for http://ag-photographic.co.uk/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree, it's impossible that this is fogging. I too have never seen anything like it. It looks like a test strip on a darkroom print. It certainly has nothing to do w/ the red window....you don't even need anything back there, as 120 film has backing paper. I've pried the red windows out of many old folders when they got so dark w/ age that I could not see the film numbers through them, and simply had an open hole back there (w/ a bit of black tape over it when I wasn't checking it). No issues whatsoever.

Maybe there's a light leak somewhere, and that's the creases in the bellows folds we're seeing.
    Last edited by momus; 10-04-2013 at 09:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin