Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,117   Online: 935

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Fogging issue - any solutions?

Just developed a roll from a new to me secondhand rollfilm back. Unfortunatly there is a problem with the mechanism in the winder - i.e. on one or two frames it winds continiously and the automatic interlocks don't engage so I've found I'm having to use the red frame counter window which produces the effect in the attached image. Under examination the window I'd describe as more of a mid-orange, rather than red. . .

Any suggestions on how to remedy this situation, or what use over the window so I can use it as a frame counter?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	74994

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With panchromatic film, the window colour is not so important. Most of my medium format cameras rely on the red window and two of them have no cover for it. I do not experience any problems with fogging on the film.

What film are you using? Having asked that, I have used Kodak, Ilford, Fuji, Adox and Efke films with no problems.

The backing paper is thick enough to stop light - if it was not you would have numbers and things printed onto the film as well as those stripes. I would suggest that you have more problems than just a dodgy interlock with your roll-film backs and there is light leakage from elsewhere, not from the red window.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry thought I'd mentioned it - it was Hp5, also the fogging is across the full width of the film right through the rebate too. So it seems to limit the problem area to the back. Since you're on the right island for postage, and suggestions for decent repairmen? Getting the interlock fixed would be nice, but can live without. Diagnosing the leak is the main issue any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I don't know of any repair people who do proper cameras.

A further thought - if it was related to the red window, you would get a fairly localised line of fogging along the film in the direction of winding rather than over the whole width of the film. This looks to be 6x9 format which should give you a line left to right. I think you have a more general light leak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Initially tape over all the gaps/lines where the thing opens or separates.
    That'll eliminate those areas. If the leak is still there it will be where the back mounts to the camera.
    Missing light seals maybe? If it's older, probably velvet ribbon was used.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have never in my life seen a print like that -- looks like a series of test strips. Did all the frames come out like this?

This has nothing to do with the red window. This is not fogging. This is -- cripes, I dunno what it is -- looks as if the shutter was a horizontal-running Focal plane shutter with a bad case of the stutters. And you say the problem is on the edges of the film too?

Tell you what -- try a second roll of film, use the red window with a bit of black electrical tape over it between exposures. Report back and tell us what sort of camera you are using as well, and use fresh film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yep all frames turned out like that Its a Makina II and sourcing any kind of constructive clues for a service manual is proving problematic. There is a felted metal flap that normally covers the red window. The banding occurs the full length of the film so it seems related to the film being wound on. . .

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkirk View Post
    Yep all frames turned out like that Its a Makina II and sourcing any kind of constructive clues for a service manual is proving problematic. There is a felted metal flap that normally covers the red window. The banding occurs the full length of the film so it seems related to the film being wound on. . .
    please confirm are the rebates at the edges of film fogged or clear if they are ok it means the shutter rather than body/back...

the shutter could be running uneveningly or capping badly on my phone difficult to tell but looks like uneven running.

the distinction is made if the fogging is obscuring the image it is capping if the image is more dense it is uneven running.

the shutter might leak at either end of its run check by pointing camera at light for leak

probably lube turned to gum if uneven run and unless you have experience a pro service person necessary sorry.

Capping could be anything

if the edge rebates are fogged you need a dark room or changing bag to localize problem I'll tell what I'd do if you confirm edges fogged.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    yes indeed the edges of the rebate are fogged - I've checked the shutter (1930s vintage Compur) and it seems as good as an 80-odd year old leaf shutter can be so I think that rules out banding as a result of the shutter. Awaiting delivery of a newer (still pushing 70-80yrs old) back supposed to be a better match for the Makina II - the existing one appears to be one better matched to the Makina I, though still a good fit on the II. . . the felt light trap between the camera and the back also appears to be in good repair, so it's unlikely to be the source of the issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I repeat, this is not fogging.

if this is shot with a blade shutter on the lens, and the problem reaches the edge of the film, then the problem is with the film. There is no way winding the film on would cause such evenly spaced banding, with more exposure on one side of each band and less on the other, over and over.

Dare one ask how the film was developed?

Whatever, try another roll. Make sure it is fresh. Process carefully and evenly. Report back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin