Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,262   Online: 838

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rolleiflex Automat - how to clean the rollers?

Hello,

Recently I noticed something like dirt - or corrosion? - on one of the rollers. I included a photo, but it's hard to photograph something so small. Due to current circumstances, I cannot send a camera out for repair .. so I'm wondering if this is do-able at home. Is it possible to get the rollers separated and clean them? Or is there a chance of screwing-up the film-thickness-sensing-mechanism (in which case I'll leave it be.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dirtyrollers.JPG  
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it causing problems?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Is it causing problems?
    I think so: the last film I ran through it had a vertical line going half-way through. I can't remember if it was the first half or second half I'm in the process of shooting a test roll

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a cotton swab dipped in alcohol or some good commercial lens cleaner could be used to clean the roller with no danger to adjustments or other stuff. It should be nice and smooth, obviously. I'd avoid anything gritty.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Get a well-used Scotch Brite (r) pad. Not a new one, but one that's been used quite a bit. Dampen it with water and then add a bit of dishwashing soap. Get it a little foamed up with the soap and go over the rollers with it. That should remove any hardened residue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a similar problem with an autocord I recently picked up, but it wasn't dirt or corrosion but rough spots on the rollers that were leaving vertical scratches on the film. I removed all 3 rollers and wet sanded them with 1500 grit sandpaper, they are now super smooth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it occurs to me to ask if you have made sure the rollers are turning, not just smooth. If film has to slide through them, they have to turn or yes, you will get scratches.

if one or both are not turning, i fear it may be time to have the camera serviced -- not because of the rough spot on the roller, but because if there is a rough spot on the roller, and there is something making the rollers not turn, there is other trouble elsewhere that also needs attending.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 on the q-tip & alcohol.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Yes, the rollers are moving. So I guess it's q-tips & alcohol. I need to see first how the test roll came out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    if there are really corrosion traces which go into the material (I think it is glossy chrome plated steel), you could try a Q-tip with a very small amount of chrome-polish like it is used for chrome parts on cars. Please do not try to work on the "Tastwerk" if you are not able to adjust it afterwards correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin