Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,047   Online: 937

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Questions about Rollei SL66 Focus screen

The screen in my SL66 appears to be the original for this camera: Type # 560060 / 64913 Original standard bright focusing screen with micro prism and grid. 10/1966 - 2/1988. Unfortunately it seems dark and coarse and is difficult to fine focus and gage depth of field with. Consequently I am looking to upgrade, preferably to a 45dg split and a super bright fine grained field. I know screens for other cameras fit or can be easily modified to fit, but I am unsure where to start looking and exactly what to look for. I would really appreciate any help and insight you all could offer.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my Rollei SLX I found the aftermarket Beattie screen to be brighter but harder to focus, so I went back to the original darker screen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    In my Rollei SLX I found the aftermarket Beattie screen to be brighter but harder to focus, so I went back to the original darker screen.
    Well thats not encourging

Did the Beattie have a split? What exactly was the problem?
    DanQuan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which lens are having trouble focusing with Dan?
    One of the slower ones at 5.6? I don't have too much issues with the 2.8 lenses with even the f/4 ones with the original screens.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am using non OEM lenses. A G-Claron 150 ƒ9, a Gold Rim Dagor 8.25" ƒ6.8, a Rodenstock 135 ƒ4.5, a Kodak Anastigmat 130 ƒ6.3, a Meniscus in a Kodex No.1 ~ ƒ8, etc, etc, etc.
    DanQuan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not the SLX, but in my TLR 2.8F I replaced the original screen with a cheap Mamiya RB67 screen. I had to cut it, and that makes me think it might also fit the SLX but check it out. The screen is much brighter, yet not to bright, the ideal compromise I think. I would not hesitate using it in any other body. Meanwhile, my 6008i has a very decent screen which I will never replace, would that not fit the SLX too?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That might work, maybe cut it down with a fine hack saw.
    DanQuan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Dan,

I had the same impression of the original screen as you. I replaced it with the Rollei High-D Screen, which is also to be found in the 6008.
    This is a very bright and fine screen with a split image finder. A real joy to use. I can compare them side by side and it is even better than the much praised Hasselblad Acute Matte D! Unfortunately it is very expensive when bought new. I got mine for 100 bucks off Ebay in mint condition and that was the best investment I made in my camera.

Best, Benjamin

Edit: This is how it looks like

http://rolleiflex.us/products/rollei...th-split-prism
    Last edited by Slixtiesix; 10-06-2013 at 04:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I will keep my eyes open for a High-D screen. I would like to find a temporary solution till I can find/afford High-D.

Has anyone tried the Chinese screens for Rollei?
    DanQuan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Quan View Post
    Consequently I am looking to upgrade, preferably to a 45dg split and a super bright fine grained field. I know screens for other cameras fit or can be easily modified to fit, but I am unsure where to start looking and exactly what to look for.
    I replaced the screen in my original SL66 with a Beattie Intenscreen, which works great. They have several styles for the SL66: http://www.camerascreens.com/rolleif...tenscreens.php

They are a rather expensive, but I waited patiently for one to appear on eBay; got it for $125.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin