Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,113   Online: 838

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RB67 counter issue

Hello all I recently purchased a mamiya RB67 Pro S with two backs, one is a Pro S back the other is a Pro SD back. I have encountered one tiny issue and while it's not that big of a deal it would be nice if I could find the problem. The Pro S back works absolutely perfectly, but when using the Pro SD back in portrait orientation the red marker does not move into place after a shot has been fired and I have to flip the little lever on the back to be able to advance the film. It doesn't seem to matter where I set the double exposure switch and it only does it with the back in portrait orientation, all is fine in landscape. Anyone ever seen this before? As I said it's not a big deal but figuring it out would eliminate an extra step.
    Mamiya RB67 Pro-S, Mamiya-Sekor 90mm F=3.8C

www.flickr.com/photos/shootfilm08

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like the back is having issues with the revolving back.... Someone isn't communicating.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Had a similar problem using that combination in college. I think it was resolved by servicing the body - somewere it was not properly engaging with the interlocks on the back, may just need a careful clean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How exciting. I just looked at my Pro S and the back didn't release. Only in portrait mode though.

Anyhow, the problem has a simple cure.
    Remove the back and revolving back adapter from the camera and trip the camera.
    Here's what happens:
    There are two flat pieces that protrude from the top corners of the body. When the shutter is released, they should pop out
    and immediately return to their rest position. This is so fast it's not really visible unless you have a reference.
    I put my thumb nail next to it and was able to verify the extension/retraction. One side(top right) was a bit slower so
    I put a miniscule drop of Naptha down each side of it. I did both sides since I was there.
    On the revolving back adapter itself there are two pins that are pushed by these fingers. One at each to corner. One looks like a
    screw head, the other is plain. Same thing though, a tiny drop of Naptha on each one.
    That should clear it up. But. there is the chance that the linkage in the back is sticky from old lube too. It's another simple one.
    Remove the cover plate, the one facing the camera and all the linkage is visible. Nothing's going to pop out but don't turn it over.
    As I remember(?) there's at least one lever just set into place Again, a small drop of Naptha on each pivot should clear it.

clear it up.
    a tiny drop of Naptha to each one
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    How exciting. I just looked at my Pro S and the back didn't release. Only in portrait mode though.

Anyhow, the problem has a simple cure.
    Remove the back and revolving back adapter from the camera and trip the camera.
    Here's what happens:
    There are two flat pieces that protrude from the top corners of the body. When the shutter is released, they should pop out
    and immediately return to their rest position. This is so fast it's not really visible unless you have a reference.
    I put my thumb nail next to it and was able to verify the extension/retraction. One side(top right) was a bit slower so
    I put a miniscule drop of Naptha down each side of it. I did both sides since I was there.
    On the revolving back adapter itself there are two pins that are pushed by these fingers. One at each to corner. One looks like a
    screw head, the other is plain. Same thing though, a tiny drop of Naptha on each one.
    That should clear it up. But. there is the chance that the linkage in the back is sticky from old lube too. It's another simple one.
    Remove the cover plate, the one facing the camera and all the linkage is visible. Nothing's going to pop out but don't turn it over.
    As I remember(?) there's at least one lever just set into place Again, a small drop of Naptha on each pivot should clear it.

clear it up.
    a tiny drop of Naptha to each one
    Yep worked for me too, I was originally thinking that maybe my homemade light seals were too thick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hold on there boyz. One of those pins moves via the fire button action n is normally slow. The other bad news... All that linkage runs dry so you aren't cleaning anything there.

Most problems are the pins of the revolving back. Either bent or dirty as a result of laying the camera on the rev back.

Best bet is to push the pins manually n inspect em for damage. Then a very tiny drop of WD40 is all it would need to lube it.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin