Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,157   Online: 1096

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Alan is giving such good advise, anything I might add would be superfluous.
    Thanks Brian. I'm just trying to pay it forward!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all for the input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

As you are in Ontario, and are interested in Large Format, I would suggest wandering through Rob Skeoch's Big Camera Workshop website: http://www.bigcameraworkshops.com/

Rob contributes here regularly, and was (is?) a long time APUG advertiser.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to shoot landscapes and other stuff outdoors, I'd recommend a field camera. Tachihara, Wista, Shen-Hao, etc. They fold up, are quite light (especially the Tachihara), and offer most movements, though extreme use of those movements will be limited and you may not be able to use some extreme focal lengths. As with everything else in photography, it's a trade-off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    You don't need a lot of movements for landscape photography. You are probably going to do a lot of hiking so a light weight field camera is most likely what you want.

You need lots of movements for product photography and architecture.
    And there are some field cameras with a fair amount of movement. Not quite like a monorail, but you really don't want to haul a monorail through the woods. I've done it and I recently bought a field camera.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    And there are some field cameras with a fair amount of movement. Not quite like a monorail, but you really don't want to haul a monorail through the woods. I've done it and I recently bought a field camera.
    I have haul full-sized monorails miles thru the redwoods and backpacked them into the mountains (in big hard-sided cases, too). But I was in my 20's, 6'4", 220lbs, and fit as a fiddle. Obviously lacking in common sense, too, LOL! But they belonged to the university and I had no LF of my own (just my tiny little Rolleiflex).

Now I am much smarter (and almost 60, 6'3" and 250 pounds)...I haul my field 8x10 in a nice pack and only carry around about 60 pounds of camera stuff...

But when I started working for the university photo program, we bought a Tachihara, a couple Horseman Woodsmans and a Shen Hao, all in LowaPro packs for the students...and do they thank me... I prefer the Horsemans. The Tachi did not survive student (ab)use. The Shen Hao is nice, but pretty heavy.

I also recommend a single lens to start out with -- I prefer the 150mm, but anywhere from 135mm (watch out for minimum coverage) to 210mm will do as a 'normal' landscape lens. The Caltar IIN is an excellent lens (rebadged Rodenstock) for the price and the 150/5.6 is sharp, light and fast.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    check out the Toyo 45AII. Superior build quality, but it's a little heavy; about 6 lbs. It only has about 300mm of bellows, a little more actually. It's also a folding, double rail camera, with very smooth movements and controls. I would not recommend a monorail for the field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your first LF camera will probably not be your last, so don't shoot for the last on the first purchase. Start with a Crown Graphic and see if it suits your style and go from there. You can sell it on for what you paid for it when you fine-tune what you like and if and when you reach its limitations.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffMFoto View Post
    Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum and am looking for some information. I am a Grad from a two year digital photography program and am looking to get back to the roots of photography and shoot more film. I am looking for a 4x5 camera, any suggestions? any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Jeff M
    any old 4x5 wii do. watch not to buy a heavy studio beast.they are a pain to take into the field. building your own is aslo an option
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first 4x5 was Speed Graphic and didn't use it at all yet because i wanted something with more movements, so i bought my first 4x5 field camera as a kit [lens lens board, lens wrap, aluminium case], i advise you to go with this one as it will be a great start, that 4x5 field camera kit is: Shen Hao HZX4X5-IIA.

Welcome to Lf world and good luck!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin