Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,547   Online: 886

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

New to film, Question.

Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum and am looking for some information. I am a Grad from a two year digital photography program and am looking to get back to the roots of photography and shoot more film. I am looking for a 4x5 camera, any suggestions? any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Jeff M

Images
    Good Morning, Jeff,

Check the archived messages in the APUG Forum; there's voluminous information (and lots of opinion!) available here. Also see the largeformatphotography.info web site for a good primer on LF.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffMFoto View Post
    Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum and am looking for some information. I am a Grad from a two year digital photography program and am looking to get back to the roots of photography and shoot more film. I am looking for a 4x5 camera, any suggestions? any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Jeff M
    Hi Jeff. There are three general ways to go, monorail, field and press camera.

Monorail: With a monorail you have full movements so you can shoot anything with them. They are also the easiest cameras to learn on and are the cheapest due to all pros going digital. The downside to monorails is sometimes weight and always bulk.

Field: Field cameras are lightweight, most fold up, and are great in the field. The downside is price and you don't have all the movements of the monorail.

Press: Press cameras like Speed and Crown Graphics fold out fast and can be hand held. They are cheaper than a field camera but have even less movements.

When people ask me which large format camera to buy, I always ask them 2 questions. What are you going to use it for and how much do you have to spend?

Alan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys,
    As for what I am going to shoot, I'm blessed to live in northern Ontario therefore so I'm thinking mostly landscape. I want full control so from my understanding monorail would be the way to go.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello everyone.

Jeff M

If you are on a tight budget you might like to consider the Travelwide.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...get/video.html

$99! Bring your own lens.

richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks guys,
    As for what I am going to shoot, I'm blessed to live in northern Ontario therefore so I'm thinking mostly landscape. I want full control so from my understanding monorail would be the way to go.
    You don't need a lot of movements for landscape photography. You are probably going to do a lot of hiking so a light weight field camera is most likely what you want.

You need lots of movements for product photography and architecture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alan is giving such good advise, anything I might add would be superfluous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, well, maybe I could add one thing: if serious hiking is intended then lightweight tripod and lightweight lens and lightweight meter would be worth seeking also. Just make sure that the lightweight tripod is really up to the job.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Check out the homepage over at Large Format Photography Forum. There is a wealth of free information there.

I'm a member there as well as quite a few other APUG members. Both are nice forums with good people.

Welcome to APUG!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LFPF seems to be down at the moment. Check back later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin