Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,244   Online: 877

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same spot on each frame? That points to a camera issue. Have you done a test roll recently?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I re looked, and it isn't shutter bounce. That looks totally different. As has been stated, if it's black on the print, then it can't be light leaks. What an odd problem. It probably isn't shutter related. There has to be something thin obstructing the film, right? I can't imagine that it's a developing issue. What's left?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have had something looking like this with my Chinese Seagull clone TLR, the 645 mask was so badly machined that it was causing scratches on the negative and it would result in several black lines on prints and scans. Could be something inside the camera scratching the emulsion on the film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello rsank,

It's hard to imagine how it could be a scratch - the film travels left to right in the pentax 67, and these marks run up and down the film.

I agree with momus that it looks like some sort of obstruction, but I've looked carefully at all the lenses, inside the body and on the lens hood. I see nothing.

Very frustrating! I was quite excited to make this my new night photography camera!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've never seen scratches going perpendicular to motion of film travel before, that show up on every frame. Do you have access to another camera that would take 120-sized film from your batch? Maybe there's something wrong with the batch of film, or something in the processing. It would be good to know whether you can eliminate the camera and lenses as the variable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello sbjornda,

I have two other 120 camera; a Rolleiflex TLR that I use frequently, and a Mamiya 645 that I use less so. I don't see this problem on those cameras. I don't think it's a problem with the film, as the mark in question appears in the same place on the 6x7 neg(9mm from the right hand side of the neg) on every frame. To me, that indicative of something in camera, not a film defect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, a film issue seems unlikely. I still think it is (or was) an obstruction. Maybe it's gone now, have you tested the camera since you looked it over?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since the shutter travels horizontally and the line is horizontal it could be shutter problem. I would think that this could be tested by shooting in daytime at speed slower than 1/30 (sync speed) and see if you still get the line.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I get this line on some of my images as well. I process at a lab, and I thought it was a lab mistake. It does not happen in every frame, maybe because I usually am shooting below 125.

My shutter is starting to go out (now only works from 250 and below) so it would make sense to me that it is another shutter related issue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello jwatts,

Any chance you could post a scan of an image?

Like I mentioned, I have mainly been using this camera on the bulb setting, and holding the shutter open for 2 to 8 minutes. The image in the original post was a 2 min exposure.

Next time I have some free time I'm going to take a series of shots with different lenses and different shutter speeds of a clear north sky and see if it will make it easier to determine what's going wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin