Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,346   Online: 813

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Marco,

Actually I just went to find a good example scan for you and realize that this was probably a 15sec exposure. sometimes its very evident like in the example im posting, sometimes its more faint. It also comes and goes, 2-3 clear rolls, then one roll will have it in 2-3 frames. I'd really love to track down the culprit of it. I hope is something a CLA will take care of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88520009.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	569.1 KB 
ID:	75931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 12.22.22 PM.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	417.5 KB 
ID:	75932

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatts View Post
    Marco,

Actually I just went to find a good example scan for you and realize that this was probably a 15sec exposure. sometimes its very evident like in the example im posting, sometimes its more faint. It also comes and goes, 2-3 clear rolls, then one roll will have it in 2-3 frames. I'd really love to track down the culprit of it. I hope is something a CLA will take care of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88520009.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	569.1 KB 
ID:	75931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 12.22.22 PM.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	417.5 KB 
ID:	75932
    That doesn't look like any light leak I've ever seen??? It almost looks like something (glue, etc.) stuck to a roller, pressure plate(220 film). Can you tell if it's on the emulsion side or backing side by holding it on an angle to the light. What ever it is it's something new to me. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I didn't know better I'd say it was a problem with a scanner. It looks digital, pixelated, up close. Barring that, the closest thing I've seen is when, during development, the film is mis-wound onto the reel & parts of it stick together. But that shouldn't happen at the same place on every frame.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it can't be a film problem or processor problem then it has to be a camera problem. Since you are not getting it with the Rollei I'd guess you might want to check your first shutter curtain and your second (follower) shutter curtain. Shine a bright light(those little multi-bulb LED flashlights work great for this) in the front of the camera with the lens off, mirror lifted up if possible, and look from the backside at the curtain. Do this in a near dark room. Could be an insect riddled shutter curtain. Don't laugh! I've seen curtain cloth damaged by little odd grubs that like chewing on that type of material for some odd reason. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A hole in a shutter would cause fog, or pinspots of light, not dark lines. Either something is blocking light from the film or something is scratching the emulsion side, although I can't think of what that might be in a Pentax 6x7. JWatts image looks like an emulsion scratch or abrasion. The marks are similar to clip marks you might see on sheet film done at a lab using a dip and dunk processor. Again I can't think of what might cause this particular case. Now I really want to know!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    A hole in a shutter would cause fog, or pinspots of light, not dark lines. Either something is blocking light from the film or something is scratching the emulsion side, although I can't think of what that might be in a Pentax 6x7. JWatts image looks like an emulsion scratch or abrasion. The marks are similar to clip marks you might see on sheet film done at a lab using a dip and dunk processor. Again I can't think of what might cause this particular case. Now I really want to know!
    I didn't look at the OP first picture and only looked at the color shot. Was kind of wondering if the print was made from a slide or neg. Now that I see the first example I too, have to rule out light leak. This is a good mystery! Should contact Holmes on this one. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you can set the camera on B.Then put a piece of cardboard over the lens and fire the shutter off. Remove the cardboard after the shutter is open and put it back over the lens after the correct exposure time. Then release the shutter. I believe that this would take shutter curtain problems out of the picture. You could try to shoot a roll with some exposures using the cardboard method and some with normal B and see if they are different.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin