Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,159   Online: 792

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format

Winder crank

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I've just got a crank on EBay. Will let you know if it works.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, the body winder cocks the shutter, lowers the mirror, and winds the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess as an engineer, I have to point this out to you. They don't put extra parts on a camera. It costs them money. So if there is a spot for a winding knob, you need to have it.

And that's the nicest way of saying it.

I am glad you got this all worked out. The 645 is a great camera.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    I guess as an engineer, I have to point this out to you. They don't put extra parts on a camera. It costs them money. So if there is a spot for a winding knob, you need to have it.

And that's the nicest way of saying it.

I am glad you got this all worked out. The 645 is a great camera.

tim in san jose
    The OP has been putting together his kit piece by piece - he may have bought the body with the intention of acquiring and using the power winder instead of the manual crank.

Many of the original Mamiya 645 Pro cameras were definitely sold with a power winder and without the manual crank. It may be the same for the Mamiya 645 Super.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The OP has been putting together his kit piece by piece - he may have bought the body with the intention of acquiring and using the power winder instead of the manual crank.

Many of the original Mamiya 645 Pro cameras were definitely sold with a power winder and without the manual crank. It may be the same for the Mamiya 645 Super.
    Yaaaa... I know that. But to think the wind on the film back would cock the camera's shutter indicates a lack of understanding of the mechanics of the tool. Not his fault. Most people these days grow up with no knowledge of the technologies they use.

Just a fact of life. Live and hopefully learn.

tim

Shooter
    Medium Format

Solved!

Yes, it just required a winder on the main body, as some of you confirmed. I did assemble it in bits and, in my defence, I would say that this is very different to the 35mm cameras that I am used to. Without having examined one before, it was not immediately obvious to me that the winder on the film back would not cock the shutter.

Thanks for all those who contributed; at least my problem has enlightened more than just me!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Mamiya 645 is very modular, which is neat for customization purposes; however, my experience parting them together was similar to yours because of the options and not knowing exactly what comes with what.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan King View Post
    The Mamiya 645 is very modular, which is neat for customization purposes; however, my experience parting them together was similar to yours because of the options and not knowing exactly what comes with what.
    That's one reason my first two MF kits were full operational kits because I was very new to the MF world. Now knowing how module everything is, I can easily figure out what is the required parts to work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Yes, it just required a winder on the main body, as some of you confirmed. I did assemble it in bits and, in my defence, I would say that this is very different to the 35mm cameras that I am used to. Without having examined one before, it was not immediately obvious to me that the winder on the film back would not cock the shutter.

Thanks for all those who contributed; at least my problem has enlightened more than just me!

My words always come out harsher than they are meant. My apologies to you.

tim in san jose

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin