Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,593   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya 645 won't fire

I recently assembled a Mamiya 645 Super by buying a body, a film back and an AE Prism finder, all separately, on Ebay. I have now assembled it in accordance with the manual, but cannot get the shutter to fire, even in the 1/60th manual mode. The Multi button is not activated, or the Shutter Lock button. Is it because I havenít got a winder on the body? There is a winder on the film back, so I assumed this would have the same effect, but I suspect now that it doesnít. Also, is there a separate manual for the AE Prism finder?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Okay, I don't have that camera, but here's some tips:

Some cameras won't fire if the dark slide is in.

Does it wind? Some cameras need to use Multi to wind with no film in.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    I recently assembled a Mamiya 645 Super by buying a body, a film back and an AE Prism finder, all separately, on Ebay. I have now assembled it in accordance with the manual, but cannot get the shutter to fire, even in the 1/60th manual mode. The Multi button is not activated, or the Shutter Lock button. Is it because I havenít got a winder on the body? There is a winder on the film back, so I assumed this would have the same effect, but I suspect now that it doesnít. Also, is there a separate manual for the AE Prism finder?

I am speaking from memory, since I do NOT have that camera anymore.

As far as I can recall, to dry fire that camera, you MUST have dark slide removed, AND the multiple exposure lever ENABLED. There is not a winder in the film back. The winder (if you have it) is a separate attachment. You'd remove your hand crank and attach it to the side of the body. Make sure battery is fresh.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The darkslide usually has a little v-notch cut in to it near the handle.
    You can just pull the darkslide out enough to expose this notch to dry fire.
    As others pointed out it has ti be in multi-exposure mode if there is no film in the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thanks for comments, but...

Thanks for comments, but...

I have a film loaded and have advanced it using the winding knob on the film body. There is no winding knob on the main body. The battery is fresh and even if I turn the shutter speed to 1/60th (which should work regardless of battery condition) the shutter doesn't fire. I suspect that the knob/crank on the main body, as well as winding on the film, 'primes' the shutter and that simply winding on the film from the film body does not achieve this. Does that make sense?

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shutter should fire without the film back installed.
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, tried that and it doesn't work. An eBay seller has offered to sell me a crank on an 'if it doesn't solve the problem, send it back' basis, so I think I'll probably try that.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I did not read your post closely enough. The body winder cocks the shutter and advances the film. I've never tried just turning the advance on the film back.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rbultman; 10-14-2013 at 09:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbultman View Post
    Yeah, I did not read your post closely enough. The body winder cocks the shutter and advances the film. I've never tried just turning the advance on the film back.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    This. You need to use the winder on the body and not the knob on the film back.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Yes, you need to cock the shutter by winding the body crank. You could probably wind the metal plate with your fingers for testing.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin