Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,237   Online: 1039

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    Bullshit.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
    Translation: One can "read" their negative and determine if exposure is significantly off.

Sent from my fingers using Windows Internet Explorer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David Odess has prices on his website for CLA's. Other vendors are probably similar. Without looking it up, the cost is roughly $200.00 for each component.
    The back is probably the least likely to need service, and the lens/shutter perhaps the most likely, especially for a C series lens.

Since you are in the west, some folks have recommended Samy's camera in L.A. as a good repair source, they have a Hasselblad trained tech on staff, so I understand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also in the west is Steve Choi at Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City CA.

http://www.stevecamera.com/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I put together just such a kit from KEH years ago for around $500 (w/ the old style back) and had excellent results w/ it. The 'blad did not suit my style of shooting, but I appreciated the camera, once I figured out all of the interlocks! Mine had the old focus screen w/ the circle spot in the middle and I liked it just fine (I'm 62 and wear bifocals). My chrome 80 Planar was not as sharp as the Rolleiflex cameras I was used to, but it was plenty sharp enough, and had a nice way of imaging. I even tried a reflex prism in an attempt to shoot it like a 35mm camera and it was a lot of fun, although a side grip would have really helped. One thing to mention is that these cameras get a LOT more attention on the street than a TLR.

You will do well to start w/ the camera and lens that you stated, and I always recommend KEH for just about anything photographic. These are old cameras, but I've had good results just shooting them w/o an expensive CLA or anything, knock on wood.

The testers Alan mentioned are very good, but I make do w/ a $40 one and it's on the money. If you have the time you can bracket, keep notes, and figure it out w/o a tester, but that's not necessarily a lot of fun.
    Last edited by momus; 10-15-2013 at 02:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While I'm actively pursuing my 500C/M setup, questions regarding filters suddenly surfaced in my cranium. Accordingly, I'm looking for a continuation of the sage counsel given thus far.

As I intend to shoot black and white film exclusively, I wondered what filters are recommended?

Does Hasselblad have a unique method of attaching filters?

Again, thanks in advance for the help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I was buying a Hasselblad again, I would skip KEH and go straight to http://www.david-odess.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDW22 View Post
    While I'm actively pursuing my 500C/M setup, questions regarding filters suddenly surfaced in my cranium. Accordingly, I'm looking for a continuation of the sage counsel given thus far.

As I intend to shoot black and white film exclusively, I wondered what filters are recommended?

Does Hasselblad have a unique method of attaching filters?

Again, thanks in advance for the help.
    Yes, Hasselblad has a proprietary filter attachment system. The old C lenses use Bay 50 filters (a very hard size to find, and the bay 50 - ??mm filter adapters are hard to come by as well). The CF lenses take a Bayonet 60, which you can get a Bayonet 60-67mm adapter ring for, and the filters still fit on the front of the lenses without interfering with accessories like lens shades. For B/W shooting, typical filters would be yellow, orange, green and red. I'd start with just yellow and orange until you get comfortable with what they do, then look into the green and red filters as they require more compensation, and generally produce more dramatic effects that may or may not be what you wanted to get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A polarizer is very handy to have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The more I use my Blad the more comfortable I'm becoming with it. For practice I chase my dogs in the yard with it. I'm getting used to the long focus throw and focusing with the flip up magnifier. A left hand grip made handling easier, I was always afraid of dropping it before. I'll likely pick up a PME prism which should make chasing the dogs easier. I like the ability to configure the system for whatever I'm going to shoot, and the optics are excellent. It is my most used system, at the moment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDW22 View Post
    BACKGROUND - I am the son of a retired pro shooter. As a kid I spent countless hours in my father's dark room as his youthful assistant. That was a long time ago. My career path went outside of photography, but I've reached an age (58) where I have time to rekindle and pursue this passion. For the past few years I've been shooting various Canon DSLR's (7D, 1D4, & 5D3). While my digital shooting has been fun, it is not as rewarding and satisfying as I had hoped. I have a strong yearning to pursue black and white image-making and I want to start shooting film again. I've determined to begin with a medium format camera and I am extremely fond of the 6x6 format. In addition, my wife is a 1st generation Swedish immigrant. Accordingly, it would appear that I have no choice but to become a Hasselblad shooter. My medium photography targets would primarily be photographed from a tripod and long exposures will sometimes be employed.

Based upon my research of APUG and a few other sites, I intend to obtain and start this endeavor with a 500C/M chrome body, A12 back, and 80mm f/2.8 Planar lens.

QUESTIONS:

1. Is there a particular 'vintage' of Hasselblad bodies that is better than others? I've read that the workmanship of the 1970's - 1980's is excellent.

2. Is there a particular series of lenses that would be preferred for my intended use? While I think the chrome lenses look marvelous, it is my understanding that any of the C/CF/CB/CFi/CFE series lenses will work on the 500C/M.

3. Are there certified Hasselblad repair facilities in the southwest USA that can provide reliable CLA and repair services? I live/photograph in Arizona.

4. Any thoughts on eBay Japanese sellers as a source for my intended purchases?

5. What am I missing or forgetting to ask before I take the plunge?

Thanks in advance for your help and generous counsel.
    Welcome to APUG. YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACEI'm a big Hasselblad fan. you are buying into a system that has the right tool for any photo job.I PREFER THE C LENSES TO KEEPthe handling consistent, but all zeiss lenses are excellent
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin