Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,751   Online: 805

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just thought of something. An upside down focus screen would produce exactly the opposite problem than the one I am having. The film plane would be closer to the lens so the subject in focus would be beyond where the taking lens is focused.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi pbromaghin. Check out my comprehensive suggestions in the last two posts in the thread beginning here http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/7...ml#post1322255. They should assist anybody attempting to fix/calibrate their TLR's focus (I used a Mamiya C330).

regards
    Peter
    Last edited by PeterB; 10-16-2013 at 04:49 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: deleted some buggy formatting characters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Hi pbromaghin. Check out my comprehensive suggestions in the last two posts in the thread beginning here http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/7...ml#post1322255. They should assist anybody attempting to fix/calibrate their TLR's focus (I used a Mamiya C330).

regards
    Peter
    Thanks, Peter. Reading that made me feel your pain. This corresponds closely with other advice I have gotten outside this thread. I'm going to show your last 2 posts to my repair guy, It's starting to look like a good idea to buy a repair manual, too.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    35mm RF
    yeah it sounds like a classic case of the foam underneath the focussing screen deteriorating. I'm pretty sure my comments are in PeterB's thread. I would suggest starting with examining the foam of the screen First before messing with anything else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    yeah it sounds like a classic case of the foam underneath the focussing screen deteriorating.
    Oooooh. I hadn't thought of it that way. Makes a lot of sense.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Revisiting this

My repair guy just can't be convinced there is a problem. I even showed him a roll that I shot to diagnose the problem. Does anybody see any big hole in this procedure?:

Taking a clue from PeterB above, I set the camera on a tripod at 45 degrees from the brick front of my house with the sun at an angle to create lots of texture. I put several lengths of tape on the wall, vertically at 6-inch intervals. I then took 12 shots, 1 each for the f/80, f/105, f/135 and f/180 at 5 feet, 10 feet and 15 feet, all at maximum aperture.

After developing the roll, I examined it with a loupe on the light box and guestimated the difference between the target and the actual focus plane (a2 + b2 = c2). I then plugged these guestimates into the focal formula 1/lens focal length = 1/subject distance + 1/image distance. I figured that with 12 data points, even if some of the m are off, the aggregate will be better than what I have now.

I haven't calculated all the data points yet, but so far the average appears that I need a 1 mm shim under the ground glass. I plan to order a C-33 repair manual this week on eBay.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    35mm RF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice link. Thank you, Xmas. I haven't opened the camera up myself yet. I am reluctant to do so until I have the repair manual in hand.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Undo the knob at rear of screen hood and lift off the screen hood.
    As documented in user manual...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to clarify: How did you measure the 5, 10, and 15ft distances? Measure from the central subject marker to a point on the camera, or using the focus scale? I am assuming the physical tape measure method, otherwise you have a secondary variable in the mix.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin