Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,272   Online: 825

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Black on White in Bristol, they did a full CLA on my Rolleiflex 3.5E3 about 6 years ago, and my Yashicamat 124 at the same time.

At the end of the day it's really the quality of the lens that's more important with a fixed lens TLR as long as the rest works OK. Switching lenses &/or shutters is a minefield unless you know Rolleiflexe's inside out.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Does anyone know how many lenses are actually in the camera and if they are of good quality?

Also, if the shutter doesn't seem to work properly (and it is really ropey!), does this not mean it is broken rather than just need cleaning?

Cheers

Carl

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl170 View Post
    Does anyone know how many lenses are actually in the camera and if they are of good quality?
    The Tessar is a four element lens of very high quality. Franke & Heidecke never used cheap lenses on their Rollei TLR's.

Also, if the shutter doesn't seem to work properly (and it is really ropey!), does this not mean it is broken rather than just need cleaning?
    Most of the time the shutter only needs a good cleaning and adjustment.
    J. Patric Dahlén

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The shutter speeds are definitely sticky and the B doesn’t seem to work properly. Does anyone know how the B shutter on this camera works? Normally(on all my other cameras) it stays open as long as you hold the shutter button down.
    B = The shutter stays open until you let go of the shutter lever.

T = One click to open the shutter and one click to close it.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Carl,

If you can make the shutter work enough to run a roll of film through it, you owe it to yourself to see what the camera images look like, before sending it in for cleaning. You might find a shutter speed around 50 that is close enough to use.

I had one, the lens had cleaning marks which made the pictures I got unbearably soft for my taste at the time. If you feel like you want incredibly sharp images, you might not like this camera even if it were cleaned.

But if you love the look you get, then you'll know it is worth getting cleaned.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cheers

Carl
    I have and use one of these cameras.
    The taking lens is a Tessar and is excellent. When this camera was new, it was state of the art - it's still excellent, but use a lens hood as it is uncoated. The viewing lens is a triplet.

As for the shutter, if it's full of ancient lubricant and 75 years of dirt, it isn't going to work. Have it serviced by a competent technician.

Edit - Any old camera you buy is going to need a proper CLA. Getting a different Rollei from what you have will get you nowhere as it also will be in need of servicing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Carl,

If you can make the shutter work enough to run a roll of film through it, you owe it to yourself to see what the camera images look like, before sending it in for cleaning. You might find a shutter speed around 50 that is close enough to use.

I had one, the lens had cleaning marks which made the pictures I got unbearably soft for my taste at the time. If you feel like you want incredibly sharp images, you might not like this camera even if it were cleaned.

As I mentioned above, I have one and there is nothing whatever wrong with the sharpness at say f8, typical for one of these Tessars.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello Carl170,
    Welcome to APUG. If you can spend the money have it cleaned and use it. You'll be surprised by the images.
    If you let us know what country you are in, we can probably recommend a good address.

You can also edit your profile data and fill in the missing info - if you're willing to share it.
    Have fun!
    Bert from Holland
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Carl,

Bill - thats a fair point, the only problem being that it I have no idea what shutter speeds are working, so I could also just waste a load of film too which is not cheap in the UK, (well, compared to 35mm!).

Also, if the images are not focused correctly, and the lenses are dirty, then will I really get a good indication of how the camera can really perform?

By the Way, I noticed a date scratched into the mirror last night - it looks like 5/11/34. Does anyone know the German date format?

Thanks for your input everyone. I have spoken to Brian Micklebro and he has said to send it to him and he will assess it first. Anyone else used him for a repair or CLA?

Regards

Carl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian Micklebro is probably the best for Rollei's in the UK, so you'll be alright.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin