Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,354   Online: 1037

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone makes a stick on plastic film box end holder. I just do not remember whom.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Someone makes a stick on plastic film box end holder. I just do not remember whom.
    Yeah, I've seen it too but I also can't remember.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also use masking and a marker.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format

tape

Some tapes can be nasty stuff, as far as leaving a mess or harming the camera, and if I were to use tape, which I don't, I would use the blue painter's tape, which comes off easy and without leaving a mess. It can be tricky to clean the gooey stuff off that some tape tends to leave, especially if it has dried up.

My system avoids messes and mistakes, and it's hard to screw this up, knock on wood, although I'll probably find a way.

I have settled on writing the name of the camera on the package the film came out of, and keeping that for reference, with my camera stuff. Easy to refer to. When I develop the film (or get it back, as I don't do my own color film), I keep the package (opened up and flattened out) with the negatives. That way, I always know what exact film was used with that set of negatives. It's simple and foolproof. I put dates on the package, too, with a sharpie. That shows whether fresh or old film was used, because the film's expiration date is also on the package (usually, depending?) The package can also be kept in a camera bag, especially if there are several bodies in there (camera bodies, that is).

Sometimes the film doesn't have a cardboard box, or even a wrapper, so the convenient holders on some cameras, for example modern ones they've been making since they quit putting fins on cars, are handy but can fall victim to the "no cardboard end-of-box label" problem. Old cameras, since before computers, forget it! My system works on any camera, and with any film. Sometimes all I have is the foil pack, so I write on that, or write on a piece of paper if no packing at all, like when you get a bunch of 35mm rolls in a bag, in their cans.

I'm lucky none of my cameras have scars from (other peoples') old tape on them. Short term, I guess it might be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    Masking tape and a sharpie on the back of the cam!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oooh, that sounds good. I don't want tape residue and while I like the idea of repurposing a hot shoe, my C220 has a PC-sync port.

Might have to fold up some brass sheet to make a little holder...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post

Might have to fold up some brass sheet to make a little holder...
    That would solve the problem and also look quite elegant!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to recall it was benjiboy here on APUG who sent me some.

If I'm wrong, the generous person here on APUG who did send me some has my apology!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm using bluetac temporarily as a permanent solution.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Attach a keyring to the strap with the boxtop inside it. Bingo! Instant reference as to "what film is that...?".

Hama were the original manufacturers of the self-adhesive film box top "memo holders". Sometimes they can be found in junk sales or swaps, even flea markets. I recall they were a bastard to remove, taking the leatherette covering with them!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1368_558.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	382.6 KB 
ID:	75634
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 10-16-2013 at 09:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Attach a keyring to the strap with the boxtop inside it. Bingo! Instant reference as to "what film is that...?".
    I think I'm just going to make myself a Velvia Keyring anyway, just to use it as a keyring...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin