Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,460   Online: 886

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Some suggestions for changing RB67 focusing screen

I recently purchased a Beattie Intenscreen on eBay for my RB67. The Buy it Now price was under $50.00 and so I jumped on it. Little did I realize how teeny tiny and miniscule the 4 screws are that hold the spring bars in place. Fortunately the screen came with installation instructions which put you on notice to be careful when handling the infinitesimally small screws. Think the size of a pinhead. In order to reduce the possibility of one of the screws falling off the table I used the lid from one of those Styrofoam ice chests. The lid is about 2 inches deep. Also, being white, it is easier to find the black screws once you have removed them. Once removed they will not roll out of the lid. To make life a little easier I only removed 3 of the 4 screws. That may not sound significant but. considering it took about 20 tries for each screw to get it back in, it was worth having one less screw to, well, screw around with!

You will need a set of those very small screwdrivers that one uses for similar delicate work. You will also need a pair of needle noses tweezers (the smaller the better). The tweezers I have were a little too big thus making it harder to line the screw up properly with the threaded hole.

Also, when you remove both parts of the old screen keep it to the side exactly the way that you removed it. This way you look back at it to make sure that you are installing the new screen in the same way.

Finally, have a steady hand and lots of patience.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah those tiny screws have a way of running away frome home ant chance they grt.

To keep the screw on my screwdriver i use a bit of bees wax in the slot. Being brass screws, magneic drivets don't work.

If your old screen was a double layered type, you msy need to add some shims to keep your nee screen tight in the holder.

Also be sure to check screen to film plane focusing?... Most common oversight when replacing any screen.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post

Also be sure to check screen to film plane focusing?... Most common oversight when replacing any screen.
    How do I do that?
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always have a towell or soft material on the workbench when working with tiny things. Terry cloth is great at catching the little buggers. It stops them from bouncing and rolling. Rubbing the screwdriver on a magnet might make it easier to set the screws back in. The cooler lid is a great idea.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Take the film insert out of the back n tape a groung glass at the film gate. Focus the ground glass n chek the screen is as sharp as the gg. If not we can discuss adjustments.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've resolved that next time I find myself in a situation like this I will swallow my pride and ask the local watchmaker to do it. Fortunately he does know about more than digital watches.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin